Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Pro to XP home

• 12-07-2006 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Would there be a problem changing XP pro to home edition as a mate of mine has lost his xp pro boot up disc and wants to change to home edition.Would it be possible to use my XP home boot up disc to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Snowbie wrote:
    Would there be a problem changing XP pro to home edition as a mate of mine has lost his xp pro boot up disc and wants to change to home edition.Would it be possible to use my XP home boot up disc to do this.

Should be fine as long as the computer is licenced for XP home. Otherwise he will have to buy a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Gonna lose a lock of drivers esp sound doin that had to do it awhile ago. Do you have a diagnostic program of any sort? I use a program called Everest they stopped the free version gimme a shout if you wanna copy of it trust me it saves alot of bother when doin somethin like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I still have all the drivers myself(originals)to preform the above,should do the job i hope.Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Snowbie wrote:
    Purely out of interest, why would you want to downgrade to home edition from pro edition, microsoft aren't going to refund you the difference in the licence fee, i don't think, just reinstall pro...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Snowbie wrote:
    you can't upgrade so would mean a clean install - will try to look up EULA later on .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Snowbie wrote:
    I still have all the drivers myself(originals)to preform the above,should do the job i hope.Thanks for the advice.

The way you make it out is: He had XP Pro, so his PC probably came with a Pro oem cd-key, but now he wants home?

You have an oem home install disc, which WILL install on his machine no problem, but you won't be able to activate it....

I gave away my spare XP Pro disc recently to someone here on boards, #Elites, you could always ask him if he would forward you the disc, it was a DELL oem XP SP2 Pro install disc, if you friend has a valid key for PRO it would be fine.

Purely out of interest, why would you want to downgrade to home edition from pro edition, microsoft aren't going to refund you the difference in the licence fee, i don't think, just reinstall pro...

He has lost his disc or misplaced.

HavoK wrote:
    The way you make it out is: He had XP Pro, so his PC probably came with a Pro oem cd-key, but now he wants home?

You have an oem home install disc, which WILL install on his machine no problem, but you won't be able to activate it....

I gave away my spare XP Pro disc recently to someone here on boards, #Elites, you could always ask him if he would forward you the disc, it was a DELL oem XP SP2 Pro install disc, if you friend has a valid key for PRO it would be fine.
    So basically stick to xp pro.
    Just need a xp pro disc to activate it with a key,can any pro disc do that,does it come with the key,or do you have to pay for a new valid key?

you can't upgrade so would mean a clean install - will try to look up EULA later on .

Probably,
    Thanks Capt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Snowbie wrote:
    He has lost his disc or misplaced.
    He still owns the licence. He can install from any disc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He still owns the licence. He can install from any disc

If XP Pro came with his PC and he has a licence sticker on his tower/laptop, its most likely OEM - which means it will have to be installed from a Pro OEM disc, i.e one that comes with a computer, and not the retail version of XP Pro.

As I said, I sent that disc off to someone very recently for the very same purpose you're describing, you could try pm'ing them (name above) and asking for a loan....sharing is caring :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The EULA is in
    c:\windows\system32\eula.txt %windir%\system32\eula.txt

It doesn't say anything about Home. :(
    * Use of Previous Version Of Software. If the COA which
    accompanies the HARDWARE identifies the SOFTWARE as Microsoft
    Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE, then in lieu of installing
    and using Microsoft Windows XP Professional SOFTWARE, you may
    install, use, access, display and run the same language
    version of ONE (1) of the following versions:
    Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 2000 Professional,
    Microsoft(r) Windows(r) NT Workstation version 4.0 or
    Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 98 (Second Edition)

More info in http://download.microsoft.com/documents/uk/partner/training/sales/downloads/oem.ppt

HavoK wrote:
    If XP Pro came with his PC and he has a licence sticker on his tower/laptop, its most likely OEM - which means it will have to be installed from a Pro OEM disc, i.e one that comes with a computer, and not the retail version of XP Pro.

As I said, I sent that disc off to someone very recently for the very same purpose you're describing, you could try pm'ing them (name above) and asking for a loan....sharing is caring :)

Thanks mate i will pm him.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

What's the legality of torrenting the software if you have a valid key?

I should be ok right?

If so why not just use the magical jellybean keyfinder to display the original key used on the PC and reinstall Pro?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2612

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

if you have a licence sticker on your pc, it will have to be installed from a Pro OEM disc,

layke wrote:
    What's the legality of torrenting the software if you have a valid key?
    almost all microsoft CD's say "do not make illegal copies of this cd"

you may also be able to get the CD from microsoft connection
    but if it's oem you are at the mercy of the reseller

anyone know what happens if windows goes belly up on a Dell when you didn't pay the extra €6 for the CD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

anyone know what happens if windows goes belly up on a Dell when you didn't pay the extra €6 for the CD ?
    Pray that the recovery partition is in tact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Karoma wrote:
    Or borrow a mate's CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

@ captn midnight
    failing that you can call dell and they will provide a new disc -
    depending on how long the techy you talk to has worked there he may be able to swing a free one for you

Karoma wrote:
    Exactly, which is why I decided 6 quid was nothing. But the CD turned out to be a customised one which ran some installer after Windows had finished, so I used a generic MCE disc instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement