Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard deviation?

• 12-07-2006 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

What's your SD on the bets you make?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Depends upon your edge surely. I think you edited the other bit about bankroll management out of your post but isn't that why the percentage of your bankroll risked should be dependent upon the size of your edge? I'm having trouble understanding your question since the estimated edge on bets won't be constant. Are you looking for an average? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

In general SD should be far more important than any other stat wrt gambling/poker/table games but BR management can have a serious impact on SD. I'm curious as to whether regular gamblers think about SD. I'm definitely not looking for an average.

And SD should be indepedent of short-term edge.

Ok, so you're simply wondering if people analyse their past data and calculate the SD rather than trying to predict it? The bit you edited from the first post threw me.

I'm sure regular gamblers don't think about it but you knew that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

If by regular gamblers, you mean mug punters, then I would agree. Most (semi-)serious punters should be thinking about SD, ROI/ROR etc. I think I was a bit over-enthusiastic with the "far more important" last night, but SD is a good stat for seeing how your running beyond simple profit.

I must admit to being somewhat the worse for wear last night. Any chance you could PM me what I removed from the original post?

To be quite honest I'm not sure I can remember it exactly beyond what I said in my first post, I just remember it confused me about what you were getting at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement