Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a anime movie

Options
  • 12-07-2006 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

here are the movies i liked :

vamipire hunter d :blood lust
    ninja scroll
    akira(great)
    sprited away(really injoyed it ,great story plot)
    ghost in the shell(great setting but the story was weak)
    pricess mononoko
    cowboy bebop
    howl's moving catles

i think thats it . i like urband settings ,village setting ,neo-tokyo setting,
    i would probably like lots of them , but i do want a good plot story ,with good build up and good conclusions.

any suggesstions for a anime MOVIE?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

If you like samurai stuff check out the 3 samurai x OAVs - trust, betrayal and reflections. Btw the first two are made before the series and reflections was made after but you dont need to see the series before watching reflections but just something to keep in mind ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 A.B H@take

if your looking for movies i could suggest that you look into the movies of the strong anime series such as full metal alchemist or you could try the naruto movie other than that.Also you could try apple seed thats a very good anime movie i cant think or any more you have all the good ones up there

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Check out Spriggan. Great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

final fantasy advent children is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

final fantasy advent children is good
    I'm sorry but no, lots of us here are proberly big FF7 fans, myself included, but cmon, the movie was weak, it looked nice, but the story sucked, all it's good for was to flick on one of the fight scenes and look at the charactors you love in good graphics. When I first saw it I said it was great, because I wanted it to be great, but to be honest it's a total letdown.

How ever, something FF7ish I do recomend it "Last/Final Order" this is really hard to find in Ireland, near impossible, it's only in Japanese and uses english subs (like all anime should IMO)

It fills in all the stuff about cloud/zack/sephiroth that ff7 didn't show, it's in anime style to, looks nice, and brings back some fond memories of one of the best games of all time.

I'm proberly not alowed link you to the uploaded version I have on my webhost that's in good quality with built in subs. I normaly don't condone downloading anime, but as I said, I found this near impossible to buy, and it is only 40 mins, Pity Mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CyTai

Jin Roh: done by the creator of Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Pretty old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

huxley wrote:
    but i do want a good plot story ,with good build up and good conclusions.
    Try the two Patlabor films. The have brilliant slow burning plots and fantastic action peices at the end.

And of course be sure to track down the other Ghibli films starting with Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Appleseed
    Metropolis
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles ( release date TBC )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Just saw Sky Blue the other day, and it was excellent. I heartily reccommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Gin`iro no Kami no Agito
    anidb.info wrote:
    The wasteland that Agito lives in is 300 years in the future. Failed DNA manipulation experiments have lead to a state of aggression between the "forest" and humans. One day, Agito meets Tula, a girl from the past. It is up to Tula to restore civilization, and to help her, Agito makes a contract with the "forest," obtaining forbidden powers. With his newfound powers, Agito`s hair has become silver - where will Tula`s "mission" and Agito`s forbidden power take the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I would say Apple Seed is a good choice, and the Patlabor movies are not bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Was I watching a different Appleseed?, that film is pure dogs muck in terms of plot, characterisation and coherency.. if you like snazzy visual effects, by all means, knock yourself out with it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone as a 'good' anime film, there's a possibility that the guy could end up buying it on our recommendation!, imagine the travesty of that!. It's not a movie, but I personally give a big shout out for the Hellsing series and the Samurai-X films (there's three, Trust, Betrayal and Reflection). Spriggan is supposed to be good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I liked Appleseed, was a good action movie and the plot was ok. It did get a bit boring. Did you watch some dodgey fansub or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Easca

Two films I'd recommend are Blood: the Last Vampire and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. The GIS2 is much, much better then the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OniTenshi

Easca wrote:
    GIS2 is much, much better then the first one.

:eek: What's this? Did they change it from the version I saw!?! I'm not saying it was bad, and certainly aesthetically its impressive esp. the carnival scene but the story just couldn't compare for me.

I'd second Blood: The Last Vampire, from your list of ones you have enjoyed I reckon it'd fit in well. Outside of that, check out Laputa and Nausicaa from Studio Ghibli.

OniTenshi wrote:
    :eek: What's this? Did they change it from the version I saw!?! I'm not saying it was bad, and certainly aesthetically its impressive esp. the carnival scene but the story just couldn't compare for me.

I'd second Blood: The Last Vampire, from your list of ones you have enjoyed I reckon it'd fit in well. Outside of that, check out Laputa and Nausicaa from Studio Ghibli.
    Well in the second film there is a cognitive plot I can follow along with and understand whereas in the first one it was just a mish mash that didn't really sync up for me. I'd read the manga and then decided to watch the film and I just felt the film was lacking on so many levels, like it didn't really explain anything about the puppeteer, so if u hadn't read the manga it would have been even more confusing. So that is why I think it is much better story wise.

In my opinion the first GITS is much better, the second was pretty boring at times and nothing in the first movie was as confusing as the scenes in the lake house place in Innocence.

Maddzy wrote:
    In my opinion the first GITS is much better, the second was pretty boring at times and nothing in the first movie was as confusing as the scenes in the lake house place in Innocence.
    Yeah it wasn't the most exciting of movies but that scene is meant to be intentionally confusing I would say. Whereas the first film just leaves these big gaps in the story which I dislike.

Another film I'd recomend based on your list Huxely would be Perfect Blue. Also check out the "explore similiar items" on Amazon for the films you like for example the similiar items page for Akira has most of the films that were mentioned in this thread.

Easca wrote:
    Another film I'd recomend based on your list Huxely would be Perfect Blue.

I concur, I was supposed to mention Perfect Blue myself. Did you know Darren Aronofsky owns the rights to make this into a live-action movie, and he bought those rights just so he could replicate the scene where Mima has her face under water in the bath in his movie Requiem for a Dream (which is a great movie btw).

Thats my useless fact for today.

Maddzy wrote:
    I concur, I was supposed to mention Perfect Blue myself. Did you know Darren Aronofsky owns the rights to make this into a live-action movie, and he bought those rights just so he could replicate the scene where Mima has her face under water in the bath in his movie Requiem for a Dream (which is a great movie btw).

Thats my useless fact for today.
    I thought it was made into an action film with the plot kind of reversed i.e. about a tv actress trying to become a pop idol but I can't find any information about this now. Am I crazy?

Two other films by the director of Perfect Blue are Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress. I can't recomend them as I've not seen them, but they are on my list along with a few others mentioned here.

• Advertisement

Satoshi Kon is brilliant. I love all his films.

Tokyo Godfathers is definitely worth seeing.

Also look for his series Paranoia Agent, he used lots of left over ideas from Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress and Perfect Blue in it.

Oh yes and I do believe there is a live action Perfect Blue, it's supposed to be closer to the original book.

Yea, the live action is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367257/

The live-action version is also Japanese. The movie rights I mentioned was for it to be remade in USA.
    I just pointed it out cause he spent nearly $60,000 on the rights just so he could make one scene that lasted a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Try Steamboy. Its the only other film that was done by the guy who did Akira. One thing I will say is watch it in english. Its set in England and has great voice actors (e.g. Patrick Stewart). It doesnt have the same feeling with subs.

Try Steamboy. Its the only other film that was done by the guy who did Akira.
    He's done a few others.

Roujin Z, Memories and he hand a fairly large hand in Metropolis.

Metropolis and Memories are very good actually... I found Steamboy rather dull... nice animation though.

Metropolis and Memories are very good actually... I found Steamboy rather dull... nice animation though.

Same here, couldn't get into Steamboy very much, also something about anime set in old school England doesn't fit with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

As movies go, we got a good selection, familiarise yourself with the basic plots of all the Ghibli stuff. If you liked Spirited Away/Princess Mononoke/Howls, theres plenty of stuff just as good. Also consider dabbling in Takahatas stuff.

Theres a bunch of movies that are only okay but have great eye-candy Appleseed 2004, Steamboy, Spriggan, Sky Blue (technically not anime - its Korean) personally thats okay with me.

If you are into fansubs there is a much larger selection of even way more different stuff. Studio 4C in particular are a very interesting studio in that respect.

If you are willing to import there is a bunch of US only stuff on DVD that we dont have. By and large though we have a good representation of the best of anime movies. There are some major things that are US only though: The Wings of Honneamise, Jin Roh etc.

My advice to the OP: get a comprehensive list of movies available on DVD, remove the stuff thats part of a TV series and prepare a shortlist that you can ask people on forums if they are any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deks_x

If you want anime I would rather suggest to try to watch Naruto it is a series movie involving friendship. It is nice to watch eventhough that one is a japanese version and beside there is a caption below... If you want to try it just click here its a long story but I can say that was a good anime manga.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mr. Green Genes

I love my Manga but have always leaned more towards the horror side of things, so if you're anything like me try these odes to deadliness out-

Hellsing
    X
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Vampire Hunter D
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    Wicked City
    Monster City
    Ichi the Killer
    Urotsukidoji 1 & 2

Just in case you haven't seen this (it's not anime, just a Manga film), try Uzumaki. It's insane! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mr. Green Genes

Didn't anyone else enjoy AD Police by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

I bought that, and I haven't watched it yet!

Advertisement