Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend fantasy novels

Options
  • 12-07-2006 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Sorry if this topic or something similar was up before. I have been reading fantasy for about 2 years. Started with LotR (like most people I assume?) then went on to Wheel of Time. Which I love despite all the genuine criticisms people have. I also read and enjoy Pratchett in between "bigger reads".

Thing is, I started looking for new books and was recommended Feist's "Magician". I didn't like it. I just didn't feel for the characters or story as I had in previous books. I then took a shot in the dark and went to Terry Goodkinks "Sword of Shannara" series which was just rubbish. How was that a best seller?

I'm now looking for advice on what I should go for next based on what I've liked and disliked so far. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Any advice?

Also as a sub question. Are there any authors (not necessarily fantasy) who have a similar style to Pratchett? Comic novels. I know Douglas Adams but that is about it.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

If you like Pratchett you might like Terry Goodkind The Sword of Truth Books.

I've read a few cute fantasy books lately....

Cornelia Funke - Dragon Riders, The Theif Lord, Ink Heart, and Ink Spell

Kate Forsyth - The Witches Of Eileanan (I think there are 6 or 7 books in this)
    There's countless other Fantasy books try an amazon search of them sometimes you can read portions of the books on there and get an idea if you'll like it before you go out and buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

You could take a look on the sci-fi/fantasy board - I'm pretty sure there is at least one thread similar to this there.

I started reading fantasy by reading Anne McCaffrey's Dragon series - the first four or five are really good, the rest still interesting but after a while it all seems a bit the same.

For comical fantasy I enjoyed Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! I've never read his other books but as far as I'm aware the Magic Kingdom series is completely different.

I quite like J.V. Jones as well.

In general, as you're just starting out so to speak, I'd recommend where possible to only start reading series which have already been completed. It's so frustrating to have to wait for years for the next instalment - I only starting reading Wheel of Time last year and finished number 10 a few weeks before 11 came out - but now have to wait for the last one with everyone else. Anticipation is all very well and good but I don't think I could have handled it every year :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

If you like Terry Pratchett you might enjoy Neil Gaiman's books. He wrote a joint novel with Pratchett, Good Omens. But he also has several novels of his own, short stories and comics including The Sandman series.

I've just started George RR Martin's series A Song of Fire and Ice which I'm really enjoying.

The Baelerion and Mallorean series by David Eddings aren't bad either, though I have found once you've read them a lot of his other books follow a similar pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I really enjoyed the 'Belgariad' and 'Mallorean' series by David (and Leigh) Eddings.

They are two series of books (five per series) with the same basic set of characters. Read the Belgariad series first.

Try here for some more information but BEWARE SPOILERS.

I have yet to find an author of fantasy fiction as good as Pratchett. I bought a book called 'The Frogs of War" by some guy simply because fo the rave Pratchett comparisons on the blurb at the back of the book some years ago and it was total rubbish. Seemed to me like the author was trying tooo ahrd to be Pratchett-like and failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I've just started George RR Martin's series A Song of Fire and Ice which I'm really enjoying..

Another good one - reminds me that I read the first book and am still waiting for a friend who promised to loan me the rest to actually hand them over!

The Baelerion and Mallorean series by David Eddings aren't bad either, though I have found once you've read them a lot of his other books follow a similar pattern.

David Eddings was my second excursion into fantasy (once I'd gotten through all the Anne McCaffrey ones) and remains a favourite as well. I prefer the Sparhawk trilogies though - maybe because I read them first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What about the "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever"? I never got into them myself but my brother loved them.

I seem to recall they were a little strange. Hmmm?

tSubh Dearg also mentioned Neil Gaiman, I loved 'Neverwhere' that was great and 'American Gods' was also a good one too. Of course, 'Good Omens' was fantastic and without a doubt one of my favourite books.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Merry_Hell

Misty Moon wrote:
    You could take a look on the sci-fi/fantasy board - I'm pretty sure there is at least one thread similar to this there.

I Probably should have looked around the site better before posting! Thanks very much everyone for the advice. Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

It may seem a bit old fashioned, but "She" by Rider Haggard is being dramatised by BBC Radio Four in the Radio Classics Series at the moment. Really worth listening in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

How about Robert Rankin ,

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/928770/The_Brightonomicon/Product.html

Along the same lines as Pratchett etc.
    My favourite are the Brentford trilogys , and Sex and Drugs and Sausage rolls, brilliant !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Definately Try some Philip K Dick. He is one of the best Sci-Fi writers. Waterstones have got a 3 for 2 on his books going at the moment. It's worth taking a look. I think you can also mix and match the sci fi books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Wow I can't believe you didn't like Magician!!! One of my all time favourites- oh well different horses & all that!

I have read so much fantasy that it's all pretty mushed up in my brain but there were some that really stood out-

The 3 Empire books (Daughter/ Servant & Mistress of the Empire) are fantastic (I really like fantasy told from a woman's perspective) by Janny Wurts & Raymond E Feist
    Any of the original 'Riftwar series' by Raymond E Feist- told the other side of the war
    The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams (haven't read anythin else by him)
    His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman- you really can't get fantast much better than this, I know it's aimed at kids but it's amazing
    Eragon/Eldest by Christopher Paolini- literally couldn't put them down & the third is out this summer, also their are making a film of it- really really good books!
    I also really like anything by marion Zimmer Bradly- again epic, legendary stories told mostly from a woman's point of view
    I think I have all the books from The Belgariad & Mallorean series & LOVED them but they did start to get slightly repetitive after a while

I'm sure there are so many more I've read & loved but I can't think of them now...so many books....so little time....sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

My favourite non-Tolkien fantasy is "Memory, Sorrow, Thorn" by Tad Williams. After that, I suppose theres Feist's Riftwar saga, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, and George R.R. Martin's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Try some Robin Hobb, She has a trilogy of trilogy's, Starts of with the Farseer triology- Assasains aprentece. After that, some George RR Martin, its really amazing. For some brainless heroic fantasy you cant beat David Gemmel. Look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054926915 for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Some of my favorite fantasy that you haven't mentioned is

George RR Martin - A song of ice and fire
    David Eddings - Belgarid, Malorian (SP?)
    Raymond E Feist - Even though you didn't like magician, try the Empire series

For the comic writer, try Tom Holt, I've read 4 of his books and liked them all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

iPink wrote:
    His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman- you really can't get fantast much better than this, I know it's aimed at kids but it's amazing
    I'll second, third and fourth this suggestion. Fantastic books.

And followed a close second by George RR Martin.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Titus Groan and Gormenghast. As fun and all Tolkien, George Double-R Martin and Tad Williams (a very nice man!) are, Mervin Peake's iconic works crush the opposition! Less accessible but well worth the effort - think Dostoyevsky compared to Dan Brown :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All of Tolkiens books, read the rest. A song of Ice and Fire - GRR Martin and his Dark Materials - Philip Pullman are my favourites.
    Reading Trudi Canavans books now, and I mean now. :P

This thread has good suggestions:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054926915

Advertisement