Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating people or threads

Options
  • 12-07-2006 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Ok I started a thread last night which I thought if the question posed was answered intelligently and with some thought it could turn into a good debate, however over night as I slept the debate was ruined by two or three idiots that completely took it off topic and made a mess of the whole thing. So what does the mod do.......locked and binned, I am coming really close to considering my membership and usage of boards if this continues to happen.

What is the point in starting a thread to discuss something if its going to end up locked because because of uneducated muppetry.....surely the action should be taken against those responsible rather then the whole thread, or maybe that's too much work for the mod involved. My thread is locked due to people that are free to continue to post. This is something that is not just apparente from the thread in question but throughout the Recycle Bin.

Now I know the only excuse for it is that there is not always a mod available and 'by the time he/she gets to it, its gone too far to salvage, but I almost feel if they did, and did hand out bans or warnings more often, for off topicness, or just being a d**k. People would think before posting and ruining an intelligent topic of discussion.

Rant over, sorry if I seem pi33ed off, its cause I am!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Momma always said, AfterHours is like a box of chocolates...
    tbh if you didn't want stupid people posting, you should have posted that thread on one of the grown-up boards like Humanities.
    Anyway, it's not the end of the world... cheer up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what Donkey said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

tbh if you didn't want stupid people posting, you should have posted that thread on one of the grown-up boards like Humanities.

Surely, if the topic was relevant to another forum it should have gone there anyway, regardless of who you want contributing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Point taken, however maybe it should have been moved to humanities long before it was. Although I doubt it would have been mod'd any better over there, would I get in trouble if I repost it over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dbnavan wrote:
    Point taken, however maybe it should have been moved to humanities long before it was. Although I doubt it would have been mod'd any better over there, would I get in trouble if I repost it over there?

listen.

i have told you in three recent threads to post in the right forum.

youve done it again.

if you felt it should have been in humanities to start with, why didnt you post there in the first place?

you want to know what my definition of stupidity is?

its 'doing the same thing over and over and over again the same way, yet expecting different results'.

you keep doing the same thing over and over and over again, and you still dont seem to get it. you appear to fall into my definition of stupidity.

by the way, i was out last night at a concert, but your lucky someone got to that thread before me, becuase i would just ban you straight out at this stage. and of course, then we get the whingy thread in feedback from you complaining about your own stupidity.

honestly, you really brighten my days sometimes. you make me look bright and intelligent.

• Advertisement

listen.

i have told you in three recent threads to post in the right forum.

youve done it again.

if you felt it should have been in humanities to start with, why didnt you post there in the first place?

you want to know what my definition of stupidity is?

its 'doing the same thing over and over and over again the same way, yet expecting different results'.

you keep doing the same thing over and over and over again, and you still dont seem to get it. you appear to fall into my definition of stupidity.

by the way, i was out last night at a concert, but your lucky someone got to that thread before me, becuase i would just ban you straight out at this stage. and of course, then we get the whingy thread in feedback from you complaining about your own stupidity.

honestly, you really brighten my days sometimes. you make me look bright and intelligent.
    If I told you what I really tought of you after that post I'd be banned from boards for life.....~Bites tongue and goes to talk to someone with real intellegence~......back now, ok my friend, maybe it should have been in Humanities, maybe I screwed up again, after hours discusses general stuff IMO, pub talk if you will, where as humanities actually discusses IMO would be to discuss more specific topics, this was a thread about peoples general attitude to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

dbnavan wrote:
    I am coming really close to considering my membership and usage of boards if this continues to happen.

LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read in ages. Thanks for a good laugh.

By the way, if you were a subscriber, that veiled threat might actually have something to back it up, i.e. cash donations. Since you are not a subscriber nothing would be lost by your non-usage of boards. That's assuming you go so far as actually considering your membership and usage. Logically your next step would then be to come really close to making a final decision at some point.

LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read in ages. Thanks for a good laugh.

By the way, if you were a subscriber, that veiled threat might actually have something to back it up, i.e. cash donations. Since you are not a subscriber nothing would be lost by your non-usage of boards. That's assuming you go so far as actually considering your membership and usage. Logically your next step would then be to come really close to making a final decision at some point.
    Pay to put up with this cr*p u must be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

dbnavan wrote:
    would I get in trouble if I repost it over there?

No and...

I just have to laugh at the request for more "smack downs from on high". Its exactly that sort of thing that has people complaining that mods are too harsh with bans et al.
    dbnavan wrote:
    however maybe it should have been moved to humanities long before it was.

Hahahaha, or maybe it should have been posted _ON_ humanities? ;)

Still, I think the advice given is perfectly sufficient for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

dbnavan wrote:

A Pub, containing drunk people and a barkeep. Dbnavan approaches the bar.

Barkeep: Good afternoon sir, what can I get you?
    Dbnavan: I'd like to complain about the drunk people.
    Barkeep: What specifically are they doing?
    Dbnavan: Well I approached them with the intention to have a serious conversation and they laughed at me.
    Barkeep: ummmm
    Dbnavan: THIS IS A DISGRACE! I AM OUTRAGED! I'M NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN!
    Barkeep: Well I guess that'll save me from barring you.

If it'll help you Dbnavan, I can ban you from the places I moderate. I wouldn't want you to get too upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Rules of thumb.

1. If you going to post think "What forum should this go in?" and then post there. If you can't think of a forum then post in AH, or TCN.

You really do get a better class of conversation in other forums. I stayed away from that thread you posted because I just knew it would degenerate into total muppetry crap on AH.

2. Take a break before replying to someone that is pissing you off, or just put them on ignore.

dbnavan wrote:

you dont have to put up with it.
    in fact, you dont even have to read it.

you are here by your own volition, nothing else. all you are complaining about, and all you ever complain about, is that you dont like the attitudes of other people becuause they dont conform to your way of thinking.

as for biting your tongue, go for your life with the insults here. i doubt you will get banned for having a go at me. no one ever does. hell, i dont even ban people for having a go at me on the forums i mod.
    so go for you life. let it all out.

all it will prove to me is that you cannot accept any opinion other than which you already hold. and when youre wrong, you wont admit to it.

perhpas i should post up your pm you sent me recently complaining that i was chastising you in public and that i should stop and apologise immediately for becuase *i told you to post in the correct forum after you did it 3 times in a row*

at what point did you not get the message?

seriously?

and you call me lacking in intelligence.....?

pu-lease.

amp wrote:
    A Pub, containing drunk people and a barkeep. Dbnavan approaches the bar.

Barkeep: Good afternoon sir, what can I get you?
    Dbnavan: I'd like to complain about the drunk people.
    Barkeep: What specifically are they doing?
    Dbnavan: Well I approached them with the intention to have a serious conversation and they laughed at me.
    Barkeep: ummmm
    Dbnavan: THIS IS A DISGRACE! I AM OUTRAGED! I'M NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN!
    Barkeep: Well I guess that'll save me from barring you.

If it'll help you Dbnavan, I can ban you from the places I moderate. I wouldn't want you to get too upset.

i mwilling to work with my fellow mods to ensure that we cover as many forums as possible. i can ban from biz and rec catagory if it will help the OP to get on with his life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

amp wrote:

Always a helpful and wise amp. A benevolant and gernous amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Always a helpful and more wise amp. A benevolant and gernous amp.

Well I do like to gern, that's for damn straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I started a thread last night which I thought if the question posed was answered intelligently and with some thought it could turn into a good debate

Apart from posting it on AH (not the place to have anything answered intelligently), and being in the wrong place (not the first time you've had one moved) the thread was founded on a rather faulty premise and bandied language like "racism" about in a way that was only bound to generate contraversy. And now you're here bleating about how unfair the move was, and that you didn't get reasoned debate. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Totally out of character for me, but I do feel a little sorry for the chap...maybe he has yet to learn a few of life's lessons.
    dbnavan wrote:
    Ok I started a thread last night which I thought if the question posed was answered intelligently and with some thought it could turn into a good debate

is ever so slightly contradicted by this:
    dbnavan wrote:
    maybe it should have been in Humanities, maybe I screwed up again, after hours discusses general stuff IMO, pub talk if you will, where as humanities actually discusses IMO would be to discuss more specific topics, this was a thread about peoples general attitude to something.

Seriously fella, if you want a serious conversation you don't start one in a pub. Know why? Because people in pubs drink alcohol, and alcohol inhibits intelligent conversation.

After Hours is like a pub. If you wanted reasoned debate go to Humanities, or Politics. Don't go to the pub.

thats not true, ive had many an intelligent debate in a pub.
    sorry, no, it was when i used to debate in a lecture hall.

my mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I debate in bed most nights... feel so guilty afterwards though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

thats not true, ive had many an intelligent debate in a pub.
    sorry, no, it was when i used to debate in a lecture hall.

my mistake!

Easy mistake to make, most college debates were an excuse for a piss up anyway...;)

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    Well I do like to gern, that's for damn straight.

I also like to gern, site wide is especially delish
    ive had many an intelligent debate in a pub.

*snigger*

Beruthiel wrote:

*snigger*

wwman:
    so, ladies and gentleman, i suggest that ruthie will have another vodka and coke form the bar, this is an undeniable and unrefutable fact!

ruthie:
    ok, you got me, mines a vodka and coke. oh, and bag of crisps as well while yer up there....

wwman:
    mumble grumble crisps up yer arse mumble grumble

ruthie:
    what was that?

wwman:
    nothing nothing. i suppose gandalf is in the toilets getting sick again, and its only 9pm, wont get him a drink so :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

delly:
    Mind if I join you, I'll get the next round?

ok wwm
    you have got me
    most intelligent think I've read all week!
    which pub and when?

delly can tag along as he's got money

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You post a thread on "racism" (and it's not bloody racisim) on AH and expect it to stay intelligent? Christ, do you realise how much hassle that thread caused me last night? There were 4 or 5 people on that thread who could have been banned for trolling/whatever, but no I was nice and just locked and binned it because I figured it was the topic and not the poster that was mostly responsible for the crap on that thread.

Don't start threads on AH and expect an intelligent debate. And please don't start them and expect us to shepard them into such a debate, it's not our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I debate in bed most nights... feel so guilty afterwards though :(

Debating on your own is nothing to be ashamed about - it's mass debating that you should keep away from.

I think my main bone to pick on feedback is AH shouldnt get to the point of 2 or 3 idiots getting away with ruining a thread, where they'd be banned straight off if it got to that point on Humanities

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

dbnavan: I think you're all rascists, and you don't even know it!

Crowd: Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya?

I fail to see why you're surprised dbnavan. It was a schoolboy error that produced exactly the same results that schoolboy errors produce every time.

I've had intelligent debate in pubs in the past, mind. I'll freely admit that they've been while I was working there, and they were with people drinking their free bottles of coke over the Christmas season and couldn't handle the ramblings of their associates.

The exception that proves the rule really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dbnavan wrote:
    I think my main bone to pick on feedback is AH shouldnt get to the point of 2 or 3 idiots getting away with ruining a thread, where they'd be banned straight off if it got to that point on Humanities

As I said to you on msn, it's a question of traffic and what the users of both forums want and expect. Both forums have very different "cultures" and conform to different rules.

• Advertisement

Look I readily admit I have made some bad judgement calls on this, with both placement of the thread, and leaving feedback, I intend to learn from it.

Apoligies again, end of......Lock this thread now please. no need for futher rumblings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement