Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating people or threads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why lock it?
    surely other people may have an opinion on it they wish to share?

im sure old welly is about here somewhere ready to pounce on another mod 'name and shame' excerice...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I find it hilarious how people come on here, all p*ssed off about some issue or other, and invariably end up meekly asking for the thread to be closed, admitting they were wrong in the first place.

Wow, that was a long sentence...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nice tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

dbnavan wrote:
    Ok I started a thread last night which I thought if the question posed was answered intelligently and with some thought it could turn into a good debate, however over night as I slept the debate was ruined by two or three idiots that completely took it off topic and made a mess of the whole thing. So what does the mod do.......locked and binned, I am coming really close to considering my membership and usage of boards if this continues to happen.

What is the point in starting a thread to discuss something if its going to end up locked because because of uneducated muppetry.....surely the action should be taken against those responsible rather then the whole thread, or maybe that's too much work for the mod involved. My thread is locked due to people that are free to continue to post. This is something that is not just apparente from the thread in question but throughout the Recycle Bin.

Now I know the only excuse for it is that there is not always a mod available and 'by the time he/she gets to it, its gone too far to salvage, but I almost feel if they did, and did hand out bans or warnings more often, for off topicness, or just being a d**k. People would think before posting and ruining an intelligent topic of discussion.

Rant over, sorry if I seem pi33ed off, its cause I am!

Seriously dbnavan, you seem to have a habit of getting on your high horse and starting threads in after hours that really don’t belong there. You should really familiarise yourself with the Humanities forum as it tends to attract the more intelligent debate and good answers that you are looking for. As I posted in your thread in after hours, there is already a thread in Humanities on people’s attitudes towards Americans. A quick navigation towards Humanities would have allowed you to post your opinion and get reasoned responses. Starting any kind of serious thread on social issues, racism or attitudes in society in after hours is just asking for the thread to get locked eventually because it will always only be a matter of time before the information deprived zombies start to circle and out number those who are capable of logical rational thought.

When dealing with important complex issues, after hours will always attract ignorant posts and silly answers which in other forums would be dismissed as spam. Starting a thread on racism in after hours and expecting to get a balanced and reasonable debate going is naive in the extreme. After hours is a decent enough forum in my opinion as it provides a mild form of comic relief but it should only be used in a light hearted way and only when there doesn’t appear to be another forum more suited for the thread you wish to start. It really hurts my eyes and makes me cringe when reading threads in after hours on subjects such as travelers or immigration. Personally I blame the person who decides to originate such thread in after hours as much as Muppets posting wild uneducated personal opinions as fact.

Remember dbnavan, the politics and humanities forum are your friend. I respect the fact that you appear to have decent enough opinions and regard you higher than most (even if you are a blueshirt) but in future do myself, yourself and also the mods a huge favour and post in the relevant forums. If we can discuss serious topics in relevant forums which promote critical thinking and discourage and promptly stamp out muppetry I think both of us will cringe less when reading peoples replies and it will also lessen the risk of me repeatedly head butting my monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

why lock it?

Because the thread more or less ended at post #31.

Anything else is just dick waving or trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I feel your pain,

V.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement