Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radio wiring question

Options
  • 12-07-2006 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

My gf recently bought a 95 subaru vivio as her 1st car

So we got a goodmans head unit and an adaptor to change the iso connection to the subaru kind

We are geeting juice to the radio no problem (the CD's are ejecting) but the display is not lighting and nothing else is happening

I rang the guy she bought it from and he said that he had to switch a wire around to get a radio working.

Now i'm thinking which wire would it be??

Anybody any ideas or should we just bring it to a car sparks???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

you're permanent 12v is probably ok . .but sounds like the switched 12v (this line connects to 12v when you turn the key) needs to be re routed.

It's pretty easy if you have basic electronics experience and a DMM and a installation wiring diagram that comes with the radio. But if you are a novice then bring it to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah i'd have basic electronic knowledge but its just sussing out which coulour wire it is the japs are strange might bring it to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

jcoote wrote:
    yeah i'd have basic electronic knowledge but its just sussing out which coulour wire it is the japs are strange might bring it to someone
    Is there no wiring diagram with the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

Avns1s wrote:
    Is there no wiring diagram with the radio?

yeah there is and thats fine but the convertor changes to subaru wiring and the colours are different for the wiring and nothing is writin on the cables so i wouldn't know much moret han that myself u know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

jcoote wrote:
    yeah there is and thats fine but the convertor changes to subaru wiring and the colours are different for the wiring and nothing is writin on the cables so i wouldn't know much moret han that myself u know

You need to find which of these cables feeding into the radio becomes live when you turn on the ignition. You really do need a multimeter for this or otherwise a small 12v bulb which you ground on the negative (presumably black) wire coming in. With this in place turn the ignition on and off trying each incoming wire in turn. When you find which cable supplies + 12V when the ign is on, then connect this to whichever cable on your radio which is marked ignition sense on your wiring diagram.

PS If you don't know what you're doing you're probably better getting someone that does. Don't come back to me with burnt fingers / car or fried radio!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

On the iso block from the radio itself,switch the red with the orange wire,thats should sort it

Advertisement