Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Man is the real deal!

• 12-07-2006 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

What a night in Lausanne last night, Xavier Carter ran 19.63 in the 200m and Liu Xiang broke the high hurdles record in 12.88 with Dominique Arnold inside the old record too. The X-Man could be set to dominate like Michael Johnson, he can run a handy 100 (10.09 this year) and 400 (44.53) also.

Derval O' Rourke also broke the Irish record in 12.92.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I was tingling all over after watching that on Eurosport last night.:D

The perfect antidote to all that spitting, headbutting and diving...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Really fantastic - unfortunately, I don't have Eurosport so I didn't actually see it. I must say as a sprints coach, I'd never heard of Carter until last week when a colleague of mine told me about him. His 19.63 is the 2nd fastest time ever over 200m. He must have a great chance of breaking the World Record of 19.32, held by Michael Johnson. And to think, a lot of people thought it would take years for anyone to get near Johnson. Also, well done to Derval on a National Record, although it must be said its 'slow' compared with the 12.4s 12.5s and 12.6s which are being reeled off with some regularity. It was only her second race of the season, hopefully she'll get into the 'competitive' range before too long. Rome is on Setanta live on Friday night for anyone interested. Not sure of the time, I think 7.30 but check your TV guides for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That was Derval's third race.

Surprised you hadn't heard of X-man. He recently won 4 golds at the NCAA championships, with an individual double at 100m and 400m. He's been touted for a while now as the next big thing. Freaky thing is, he's still only 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

Here is a site with great sprint links including Lausanne. Also further down look at the NCAA link, they have his 1/4 double, the last 40 in the 100m is unreal and he seems to jog about 280m of the 400 and still runs 44.53. As someone once said about Jocky Wilson, "what an athlete".

On DOR, its hard because she has been injured, but she'd be the last to make excuses, hopefully she can stat getting that time down over the next few weeks.

Advertisement