Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Query!

Options
  • 12-07-2006 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi folks - just wondering does anyone get TV licences these days? And if the tv licence man calls do we have a grace period to get a licence seeing as how we have all just moved in any everything ?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

When we moved in the Inspector called within a couple of weeks (while we were on honeymoon). He just left a letter reminding us to get a licence.

We didn't bother, as we'd more important things to spend money on. A few weeks later another letter threatening legal action. We got the licence then.

So I guess you have a few weeks from the time he calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes - you get an opportunity to get one. The people who are prosecuted have not availed of that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i just applied for mine their the other day through direct debit, there's no interest so your not paying more and i think it works out like €14 a month which takes the hit off it...

Just ring 7058800 (an post) and ask them to send you out the tv licence direct debit application and then bring it do Dun laoghire post office and you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Yeh an inspector called to me a few weeks after I moved in and then a letter arrived, NTL hadnt even connected me at this stage :rolleyes:, so I wasnt paying to watch nothing! So they are out and about - When I got it, I used the DD and its great, this year they just sent a letter saying they will continue the DD, and sent me out a new licence. So much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

in regards to the DD, do you have to bring it to Dun Laoighre Post Office or will any post office do?

• Advertisement

As far as I remember I posted it back to them!?!?:rolleyes:

Even if you don't have a TV, you still need the licence in order to use your radio!

Once there is any sort of device capable of receiving TV or Radio signals, you need a licence.

you have to bring it back to dun laoghire as far as i know, at least thats what yer man said on the phone...
    I should be getting my application today so i will let you know later this evening!

And a question on the tv licence, as it is anything that can recieve a tv/radio signal does that include wireless networks as well cos technically thats a radio signal!!
    I know it pernicity but im just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Even if you don't have a TV, you still need the licence in order to use your radio!

no you don't

http://tinyurl.com/laop9

Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., an aerial, satellite dish, etc.,) must have a television licence.

no mention of radio.

thats answers my question so!

• Advertisement

I stand corrected. I was given to believe that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

with the advent of TV on your mobile and the increasing amount of TV appearing online the TV license is going to become harder and harder to enforce in its present form anyway...

but thats a discussion for another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

It's nothing to do with NTL or Sky etc... any TV can recieve RTÉ 1, 2, TV3 & TG4 without cable or satelite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 planko

every household is on a national computer and are sent out word by post about getting a T.V license.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I'm in nearly 2 years and the T.V. licence man/woman has not called once?

They LOVE new estates...........

they've called up to the crescent 3 times now!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

We were only in the house 2 weeks when we got a postcard thru the letterbox regarding the TV licence. I just paid it by credit card over the phone and when the renewal was due, paid for it in full in the Post Office in Dun Laoghaire.

LMC is dead right, they prowl new estates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

I wouldn't even try and not pay guys. They know exactly what houses/apartments who have still not paid. It's up to you to do it first and then when they call you can then produce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

would i be right in saying that when you get a licence your on some register and they dont call to your house, would explain why they've not called

• Advertisement

They never called again once I got my licence

Advertisement