Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Grub in town?

Options
  • 12-07-2006 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi again - I have lots of questions today - well we have been in C'land park for 6 weeks now (loving it!!) and we're finally going out for a bite to eat in greystones with some friends tonight. I hear script do a good midweek menu and I have been to bocellis which is yum but does anyone have any other recommendations of nice cheap'n'cheerful places that I might not know about!!!

thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

this was brought up before, don't rate the food in script at all. very run of the mill. Have to say the 3Qs does it for me every time great menu, superb food. You will have to book ahead I reckon. The Scent Garden, above the Burnaby do great Thai food. Shakra is a great indian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

Diva which is above the Beachhouse pub is very good. It's reasonable has a big menu and nice atmosphere. We went to Chakara indian recently and had one of the best meals we've had in a long time. I think Vino Pasta is totally overrated and over priced. The 3Q's is very good and has a great menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi SJ....... Highly recommend The Scent Garden over the Burnaby excellent service and great selection of Asian and Japenese food.

Diva beside Greystones Harbour is BRILLIANT value...great on a Sat night as they have a really brilliant guy playing the piano while u eat, great atmosphere if its not too busy.

Script is average and to be honest its probably not so much the food as a lack of atmosphere and the lay out of the resturaunt.

Chakra in the meridan centre is supposed to be one of the best Indian resturaunts outside Dublin everyone raves about it.

The Hungry Monk again havent been there but supposed to be ab fab. Upstairs is pricey but downstairs good value.

Have a lovely night out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Chakra's okay. But to be frank, the Indian Spice takeaway beats their food. Hands down.

I hear bad things about Vino Pasta, but in ten years, I've never had a bad meal there. They do a sort-of-steak-au-poivre called Filetto al Pepe that's fantastic, and their white chocolate creme brulee is lovely.

The Royal Park is a decent enough chinese, but I keep wanting to try the Scent Garden to see if they're better. (It wouldn't take much to beat the Royal Park's Thai menu, but they'd need to be good to be better than their usual eurochinese menu).

Bels is okay - some of the menu is great, some is so-so, but the service is dire.

If Diva is the place that used to be Opresco and before that, Coopers, then yes, eat there. Though frankly, the changes made to the decor that was there when it was called Opresco haven't been for the better :( Food's still good though.

Do not order from the chinese takeaway down past the library. Ever. Seriously.

Have to agree about script. It's so-so at best, and it really seems more oriented towards being a sports bar than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

thanks folks - great responses! I will post tomorrow with the feedback!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

Hi Guys,

Well I too was in DIVA on saturday evening and my experience was not all that great. I booked a table for 4 in advance and when we arrived we were shown to the back room to a circular table in the middle of the floor.

People were constantly walking around and brushing into us. I asked for the table to be changed but I was greeted with a blank expreeison from an italian looking gentleman. Things got worse when a party of 24 arrived for a celebaration, right behind our table. The rest of our group (who are pretty gentille indivduals) were not impressed at all that this table was even offered.

Seeing as we were pretty hungry and we were unlikely to find another restaurant at short notice we decided to stay and try to overlook the table location. Starters: Excellent. Main course: the food for the most part was fantastic, but my steak was cold (luke warm). I looked around for a waiter to reheat it but alas no one was interested in stopping.

I decided to eat the steak anyhow and it turned out to be of mediocre quality, i.e. a lot of sinew in the steak. Following the main course I decided to give full feedback, but only if I was asked by a member of staff. This didn't happen as the restaurant was quite obviously understaffed.

Finally, we decided to console ourselves with desert, and after deciding what we wanted, we waited for our orders to be taken... and waited... and waited.. and waited... 25 minutes later, a polish girl asked us if we would like to order desert, at which point we declined.

Overall: DIVA is a good venue but with some serious staffing and customer service issues to sort out. I wouldn't rush back there, or reccomend this place at the moment. Perhaps in 12 months time we might revisit the restaurant to see if anything has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

I agree with you in regards to DIVA. Service is appalling. Food is good alright

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

have to agree with you on the issue of sevice. The night we were there we went at around 7pm and it was perfect but when we were leaving it was choc a block and we said to each other that we wouldnt like to be there at that stage as it looked like people were getting irratated and were waiting far too long for orders. My advice is if you want a really good meal for good value go early, after 8pm you will find yourself in no mans land getting very annoyed and very hungry!

Indian Spice takeaway per my other half absolutly fabulous...gets one every Friday evening and has never had one bad meal....excellent food.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was in script there a couple of weeks back.

my god you think for the prices they charge they could afford some blinds so you can actually see the food you are eating.

is there a chinese restaurant there just above supervalu? was in there once and have to admit from what i can remember is was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cremo wrote:
    is there a chinese restaurant there just above supervalu? was in there once and have to admit from what i can remember is was nice.
    There's the Jade Royal, and round the side road, the Royal Park, which are apparently not the same business? Decent enough eurochinese. Not a pinch on real chinese, mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

A couple of places slightly futher afield which all you dubs probably havent heard of!

Glen Of the Downs Golf club have a restaurant and bar open to public. Good reasonable food and fantastic views over sugarloaf. Drive into delgany, turn right up the hill. After a couple of miles you come to a left turn. Take that and its a few metres down on your right.

Hunters Hotel. Food is basic but country house atmosphere is excellent and lovely gardens in summer. Lovely (tiny) bar. Take Kilcoole road and drive through newcastle. After a few miles (you are nearly in Rathnew) its on your left. Old country house.

Well folks we went to chakra and it was delicious!! :p the waiting staff were extremely attentive. Starters were presented beautifully - I shared the tasters starter platter and it was divine. I got the duck for main course and it was delicious - the duck was perfectly cooked and there was loads of it! The others had korma and it was also yum with lots of chicken and the sauce was to die for. selection of sorbets for desert which were also really good. wine list was extensive but the house sauvignon blanc was lovely. meal for 4 with 2bottles of wine and 2 beers came to 200euro including service charge. not exactly cheap'n'cheerful but worth it!

Tom Doorley eat your heart out!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Excellent.
    I think we've found a new gourmet.
    How many stars does this place earn on the SJ scale of perfection????
    :)

ambience: 4 stars, nice and relaxed
    decor: 4 stars - high ceilings and cool bathrooms
    service: 5 stars
    Food: 5 stars - I could not find fault!
    Drink: 4 stars - reasonably priced and nicely chilled vino
    Value for money: 3.5 stars - main courses were 20-25euro when 15-20euro would have left some money for the 8euro (total rip off) cab home!!

Overall Rating: 4.5 stars!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

check out:

www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=FOOD%20AND%20DRINK-qqqm=nav-qqqid=15670-qqqx=1.asp

for a review of Three Q's from last week's Sunday Business Post. Would have to agree with it, the food is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Vino pasta is great but overpriced imo.

The Three Q's has got to be the best restaurant in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

the new cafe in Charlesland will be open in the next two or three weeks in the evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Had the Sunday carvery in the pub section of script today, just went to watch a match and the dinner was a bonus.

Very good food and portions, not sure if €11.95 is good value or not but I get similar for €8 in Dublin on workdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hc

Highly recommend the Tapas in Homan's Coffee Shop (beside the library). It's only available on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights as far as I know, between 6 and 10.

Very good food, especially the figs with prosciutto and halloumi cheese, yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Sounds good hcmust try it! Saw it was very busy there last week and thought about dropping in soon. I wasn't mad on script but only ate there in it's early days and it takes time to get a menu right but I think they could have been better value from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Shakra is great but I found the pricing a little steep. Approx €18 for your main course, and thats before you add on rice and naan.
    They run an early bird menu until 7pm. €20 and you get a 3 course meal which is great!
    Millas Kitchen in Delgany is also good, the food is delicious and the Indian style low sofa seating at the back of the restaurant adds to the whole Indian experience. Great for a group night out.
    What happened to that Fusion place at the side of the Meridian Point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

Mullie wrote:
    Shakra is great but I found the pricing a little steep. Approx €18 for your main course, and thats before you add on rice and naan.
    They run an early bird menu until 7pm. €20 and you get a 3 course meal which is great!
    Millas Kitchen in Delgany is also good, the food is delicious and the Indian style low sofa seating at the back of the restaurant adds to the whole Indian experience. Great for a group night out.
    What happened to that Fusion place at the side of the Meridian Point?

not enough customers so it was closed down.
    there are 12 rest/coffe shops in town so i think fusion was too big and might have worked on a smaller scale. either way we still have a great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Lamb Rogan Josh, Naan, and rice from Chakra, DVD, and partner on a friday night... Heaven...

Advertisement