Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical wiring 70% dearer in last 3 months

Options
  • 12-07-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Just had an electrician around to quote for our new house yesterday he said that the price of Electrical wiring had become 70% dearer in last 3 months due to "the shortage of copper".

Could someone in the trade clarify this, if it is true fair enough ... the price of steel seems to keep rising so no big surprise if there was a rise in the price of copper wire.
    However, I would be interested if there has been such a big increase as he said "in the last three months" and if this is known/ common throughout the trade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah he's right,it has gone up by that much. I work in the trade also, but on the plumbing side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The cost of a roll of cable has just over doubled in the past 7 months where I buy it. Unfortunately, your electrician is right!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's gone up alright. But only the materials part of the bill would have gone up, the labour would make up the most of the bill, this shouldn't have changed much.

Ask him to break the quote up for you if you're in doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Thanks a million for all the replies. The fella is genuine , just when he said "... it has gone up ... in the last three months" I thought to myself , I should have bought the materials in advance, but who's to know:rolleyes: .

I was also hoping that people in the trade would clarify that there had been such an increase.

...the labour would make up the most of the bill, this shouldn't have changed much.

Ask him to break the quote up for you if you're in doubt.

I will ask him to break the quote up Sparks.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement