Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What takes Precedence: EU or IRISH Law

Options
  • 12-07-2006 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

re an thread I opened on rear LED lights
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054959188 which led me to ask if fog lamps were included as standard..

Well all my running around and ringing around cannot get me a definitive answer on whether these lights include fog lamps. So I decided to check out legal requirements. Oh my word.. not easy to get answers on let me tell you.. So I found this in the rhe rules of the road.. confirmed by my mate a Garda :
    A motor vehicle (except a motor cycle or an electric vehicle the maximum speed of which does not exceed 38km/h) must be equipped with-
    • Two headlamps to the front (which may be white or yellow);
    • Two white front sidelights; Two red rear lamps; Two red rear stop lamps; Two red rear reflectors; Number plate lighting at the rear;
    • Direction indicators to the front and rear (which must be amber in colour).

So no fog lamp as a legal requirement. However UNECE Regulations state :
    Rear fog lamps
    (ECE Regulation 38, SAE J1319) In Europe, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which are switched on manually by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The

so which takes precedence?

Advertisement