Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Campervan Purchase Advice

Options
  • 12-07-2006 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a VW Campervan (1970-90), possibly a transporter or a westfalia. I am looking for any advice at all. The only places I can think to look are cbg.ie, buyandsell.ie, and campers.ie and the selection is pretty limited.

I would like to know the kinds of things I should be looking for in a van like this. Is it inevitable that there will be some rust?

I looked at a 1.7 diesel 1990 Transporter. Seemed ok. It had 32,000 miles on it. The owner told me it had this much after being reconditioned??
    Does the mileage start again in a reconditioned engine?

Could I NCT something like this?

What is insurance likely to be? I am over 25

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

First off: if it qualifies as a camper it doesn't get NCT'd (yet). On a proper camper there are special insurance schemes (ca 350 € p.a.) ..you need another car though to qualify. Insuring a camper as your sole vehicle might be difficult.

On engines:
    Basically all engines on these transporters were too small for the task. If driven hard they won't last very long. A recond. engine with only 32k would probably be a good buy though. All engines use oil and profit from regular top-up (1 liter / 1000 miles or so)
    Try and get a watercooled model (petrol or diesel) as these are a bit less prone to overheating and sudden engine death. All petrols are heavy drinkers though.

rust:
    Yes, there will be rust in varying degrees. You can get minor surface rust only (especially in the folds where panels meet) to totally rotten yokes.
    Be wary of new paint jobs often they gloss over a rotten structure

Having said all that ...I just sold mine: 85 1.6 turbo diesel w. 130k miles, some surface rust but very good structure.
    Only thing wrong with it was a stuck brake

As for other sources ...

how's your German?

http://www.mobile.de/SIDHqxH3jtHzlNch.FMLQT3.w-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P~BmSB11LsearchPublicJ1152707274A1LsearchPublicD1400IMotorhomeS-t-vpLtt~BmPA1B20A0/cgi-bin/searchPublic.pl?sr_qual=GN&formType=womoDetail_GN&_form=search&sr_make=25200&sr_model=&sr_vehicleType=-2&sr_priceFrom=20000000&sr_priceTo=100000000&sr_category=1400&sr_doorCount=-2&sr_powerFrom=-2&sr_powerTo=-2&sr_registrationDateFrom=-2&sr_registrationDateTo=-2&sr_mileageFrom=-2&sr_mileageTo=-2&sr_engineType=-2&sr_gear=-2&sr_airConditioning=-2&sr_color=-2&sr_country=-2&sr_zip=&sr_zipRadiusTo=-2&sr_damaged=0&sr_daysOldTo=-2&sr_sortOrder=0&sr_advertiserType=-2&sr_deliverability=-2&doSearch.x=66&doSearch.y=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 overstand

Peasant, I really appreciate the info and advice.

What would you say a ball-park figure for a 1.7 Diesel Transporter 1990 w/reconditioned engine 32,000 miles, minimal rust

I am going to view one tomorrow night, and I would like to at least appear to know what i am talking about :-)

A trip to germany could defo be an idea.

Thanks again

Is this a Camper already or would you still have to convert it ?

Personally I wouldn't really buy the van without fittings, because a proper conversion is a hellofalot of work (and cost).
    The price for the "naked" van should be pretty low ...this is by no means a classic yet. The 1.7 non-turbo is frustratingly slow as well. Personally I wouln't pay any more than 2k and that only if it was in really good condition.

If it is converted already, it very much depends on what's in it and the condition of the conversion.

Prices vary hugely and some people are actually prepared to pay big money for a good example (way too much money in my opinion)

Problem is that campers/motorhomes are very overpriced here in general and you don't really get that many alternatives.

My personal pain threshold for a really good one with a fairly new engine would be in and around 5-6 k

Other people might be willing to pay more though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Visit www.type2ireland.org and somebody will point you in the right direction ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The import route probably depends on where you will mainly drive the campervan, as in LHD or RHD

Family member imported a LHD Westfalia from Germany. He planned to drive on the continent in it. Sold it on a year or two later and made only a very small loss on it even taken into account the VRT he paid on importing it and putting it on Irish plates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

unkel wrote:
    The import route probably depends on where you will mainly drive the campervan, as in LHD or RHD

Family member imported a LHD Westfalia from Germany. He planned to drive on the continent in it. Sold it on a year or two later and made only a very small loss on it even taken into account the VRT he paid on importing it and putting it on Irish plates

I thought VRT is 50 euro flatrate for campervans in ireland?

50 € VRT only applies to campers over 3 ton unladen weight.
    Everything else is 13.5% of "open market resale price"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I thought VRT is 50 euro flatrate for campervans in ireland?

for vehicles over 30 years old:)

To find a vw camper, you can also try out the folk on www.eircooled.com/forums/

or www.nboc.org.uk

they love the aircooled stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 toggoboge

Hi overstand,

I have a '92 transporter camper I might consider selling if you are interested. Its diesel, front engined, long wheelbase, high roof, 2 berth, all the usual camper stuff. Its a properly registered camper van so no NCT, cheap tax etc.

I have the van since 2002 but dont use it that often anymore due to all the boring stuff like work taking over, its in good condition, much better than most of the rubbish I seen when I was looking for a camper.

By the way insurance is approx. €350 if its not your primary car. If you dont have another car its more expensive, probably in the region of €600 to 700 if there are no accidents or anything that would affect your premium.

let me know if you are interested and roughly how much you plan to spend

best of luck in your search, campers are lots of fun, so whatever you buy im sure you will have a great time with it

toggoboge

• Advertisement

Seenashow this thread has risen from the dead, can I take this opportunity to plug the camper/motorhome forum/ (see sig)

Advertisement