Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman attacked by Tiger in Dublin Zoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

OMcGovern wrote:
    Maybe Nokia could sponsor the Tiger for a year, to promote their "hands free" kits.....

I love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Sangre wrote:
    This merely highlights the disgraceful negligent on the Zoo's part. They need implement some system that will prevent people from trying to get into the enclosure....like a tiger that will maul you.
    Excuse me. I work in the Zoo . I am not a Zookeeper but I work in the retail. In the shops and on the ticketing gates/membership and on the entrance.

Every SINGLE ****ing day we have drunk people, junkies and just basic morons doing the stupidest things I would not have thought possible until I started working there.

People throw cigarettes, balls , alcohol, sharp objects and anything they can lay their hands on into EVERY animal. People are ****ing stupid. That is the end of it! Animals can die from silly little items you wouldn't think of such as straws which is why we don't issue them, then we get a barrage of complaints from the very people who litter the zoo asking to see a manager because their little brat can't have a ****ing straw with their juice.

A month or so ago people were caught FEEDING an extremely rare (albeit friendly) african parrot PEANUT M AND M'S. HOW ****ING RETARDED CAN YOU BE? They were promptly removed by security.

We have knackers and junkies who get so pissed off when they're not allowed in because they have drink with them and on them that they hurl abuse at us and do stupid **** like that little idiot did yesterday. We can't have 100 security guards employed just because people are ignorant and stupid! The Zoo is a non profit organisation. The only people who are paid and make anything are the workers, who work ****ing hard let me tell you. The Zookeepers, and Leo and everyone, even the retail managers are passionate about what they do and only ever have whats best in mind for the animals AND the public. If the public go beyond the reasonable and sensible logic that HAS to be expected of the general Joe Soap then what can we do? Obviously if you make an extreme effort to climb over a barbed wire 2m high fence to go pet a 'pretty kitty' then it's you're ****ing fault for being such an imbocele and perhaps deserve to be injured so next time you feel like going out completely pissed to somewhere, perhaps you won't be so stupid.

Grrr it makes me angry! We are not negligent at all, in any way, all we do is our best and if people push that to the goddamn limits then **** me let's just kill the beautiful creatures so no little knackers can get a boo boo on their army warmy and we won't get sued and I won't lose my job!

YAY

/SARCASM

robinph wrote:
    Yes they are at fault, they should not have let the mupet into the zoo. Unfortunately there is no way of identifying these people before hand so theres not really a lot they could do ... although maybe if they checked people for animal bite marks on their arms before letting them into the zoo it would stop this happening again?
    They weren't let in, they broke in quite obviously. People like that are NOT allowed in just because thats the exact type of **** they do. The same way kids under 16 are not allowed in without an adult because kids that age usually do similar crap when they're SOBER!:eek:

qwertz wrote:
    My thoughts are with the poor little tiger. He must feel pretty small now since he only managed to shred her arm. Don't worry, little fella, better luck next time!
    He probably loved it. It's a wild zoo, ie most of the animals are not tamed so if needed and possible someday they could be released back into the wild.

If Herons land in tigers/lion enclosures they're ripped apart in about 3 seconds. It's amazing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Mina, I think you missed the joke in Sangre's post. He wasn't actually having a go at the zoo.

I do love the zoo though... it must be great to be able to say you work there....

ateam wrote:
    If you listen to the interview with the director of Dublin Zoo on Morning Ireland, it's clear he doesn't have much sympathy for the girl...and why should he! Baffled as to why the interviewer asked will the tiger be put down...She should of asked will the girl be banned from the zoo in future...
    Exactly. Leo's a great guy. Friendly to everyone and is passionate about his job. I'd say it breaks his heart when idiots like this put animals in jeopardy. Which it does. If that chick sues , being Ireland, her lawyer is going to find the tiniest loophole or technicality to let her take the Zoo for all it's got. Then **** knows what'll happen. It's just not right.

He has to watch animals which himself and others have cared for and raised , nearly like their own children be injured and killed because Anto and Jacinta think it'd be great to kick animals threw fences, feed penguins whatever they **** they like, rip feathers off peacocks and set enclosures on fire.

Imagine how he feels when that idiot suggested the mere idea of them being put down. I think he did a great job on the interview.

Mina, I think you missed the joke in Sangre's post. He wasn't actually having a go at the zoo.

I do love the zoo though... it must be great to be able to say you work there....
    Sorry If I did. It just pisses me off how stupid people are and I'm ranting. I deal with it everyday, pure ignorance. Sigh.

Apologies Sangre!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

careful... hes a solicitor, he might sue you for shouting at him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Apparantly the stupid mare is up in James Connolly Memorial in Blanchardstown.. I'd love to head up there on the way home.. go into the ward and point and say 'heh heh' ala Nelson from the Simpsons..

God some people dont deserve to be walking around.. have stupid must she be.. that post earlier from Mina Loy just opened my eyes to what morons are going around nowadays... I havnt been the zoo in ages but i really admire the people that work there.. they must be very passionate about what they do.

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote:
    Apparantly the stupid mare is up in James Connolly Memorial in Blanchardstown.. I'd love to head up there on the way home.. go into the ward and point and say 'heh heh' ala Nelson from the Simpsons..

God some people dont deserve to be walking around.. have stupid must she be.. that post earlier from Mina Loy just opened my eyes to what morons are going around nowadays... I havnt been the zoo in ages but i really admire the people that work there.. they must be very passionate about what they do.

:) Thanks Gaz. I actually feel a bit gay because I've only been working there since March.And I'm not even a zookeeper and see how annoyed I am at it! They must be ripping lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Such a pity she didn't stick her head in instead of her arm. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

At least the Zoo can save some money on cat food today. Tiger's had its breakfast.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So i take it the tiger's ok and he/she won't be put down? The muppet who jumped in should be put down! Someone please put me out of my misery, I feel so sorry for the poor tiger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

stupid girl...read this in the paper. She was asking for it. Didnt she knoe that siberian tigers already killed a 12 yr old in america and attacked anothr 16 yr old. dosent anyone learn from the experiences of others anymore????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So she was a nordie eh? might explain it, we all know that some of our northern cousins get the uncontrollable urge to go wandering into places that they're not supposed to be at this time of year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

At least the Zoo can save some money on cat food today. Tiger's had its breakfast.

They'rrrre GR-R-REAT!

/Coat on

See ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Sangre wrote:
    This merely highlights the disgraceful negligent on the Zoo's part. They need implement some system that will prevent people from trying to get into the enclosure....like a tiger that will maul you.

My class had to attend the zoo last year and on one of the rounds the resident Vet on duty pointed out a gap in a hedge beside the tigerhouse, leading to wire mesh where the lions were. It wasnt obvious or easily seen but any wandering child could have gone up as far as the wire.. I have to say I was pretty shocked at that.

This was a 16 year old girl though. Shes an idiot, and its her own fault

layke wrote:
    They'rrrre GR-R-REAT!

/Coat on

See ya.
    No! Come back I liked it...!! (hard to admit)

Bambi wrote:
    So she was a nordie eh? might explain it, we all know that some of our northern cousins get the uncontrollable urge to go wandering into places that they're not supposed to be at this time of year...

more. more. sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

My class had to attend the zoo last year and on one of the rounds the resident Vet on duty pointed out an gay in a hedge beside the tigerhouse, leading to wire mesh where the lions were. It wasnt obvious or easily seen but any wandering child could have gone up as far as the wire.. I have to say I was pretty shocked at that.

I new there was cottaging going on in the Phoenix park but I didn't think it happened in the zoo

• Advertisement

Monkey wrote:
    I new there was cottaging going on in the Phoenix park but I didn't think it happened in the zoo

er dunno how that happened, meant gap. though you never know with the park is suppose. tis edited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Just out of interest, are any animals (apart from the farm animals) tamed? I wouldn't think so.
    Mina Loy wrote:
    He probably loved it. It's a wild zoo, ie most of the animals are not tamed so if needed and possible someday they could be released back into the wild.

If Herons land in tigers/lion enclosures they're ripped apart in about 3 seconds. It's amazing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

qwertz wrote:
    Just out of interest, are any animals (apart from the farm animals) tamed? I wouldn't think so.

no the handlers try to minimise contact with humans afaik. Some are naturally more sociable/ curious though. Like some of the monkeys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My class had to attend the zoo last year and on one of the rounds the resident Vet on duty pointed out a gap in a hedge beside the tigerhouse, leading to wire mesh where the lions were. It wasnt obvious or easily seen but any wandering child could have gone up as far as the wire.. I have to say I was pretty shocked at that.

That's what parents are for. I'm guessing they wouldn't do it a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

These are the tigers in question
    My partner took this photo in there recently, now think about it, how mind-numbingly stupid would you have to be to even think for one millisecond that getting close to them in any way would be safe?

These are wonderful, beautiful animals, unlike the idiots who go into dublin zoo with no idea of respect for them.

Some people really are amazingly stupid. This woman deserves whatever she got and more, imho Dublin Zoo should be sueing HER for trespassing, criminal damage, and endangering a protected animal!

b

that aint no picture link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Fixed, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Bambi wrote:
    Tigers look kinda orange, she couldn't help herself, bless her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

Yup, she was Grrrrreat!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Mina Loy wrote:
    They weren't let in, they broke in quite obviously. People like that are NOT allowed in just because thats the exact type of **** they do. The same way kids under 16 are not allowed in without an adult because kids that age usually do similar crap when they're SOBER!:eek:

Wrong, it's under 18. Which was damn annoying when me and my friends were refused, and I just wanted to see the penguins.....but thankfully we got in the next time :) And saw the tigers too, from behind the glass thing like you're meant to...

Anyway, that girl is such a ****ing idiot, and so is anyone who has any sympathy for her....a Siberian tiger, seriously...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

Wrong, it's under 18. Which was damn annoying when me and my friends were refused, and I just wanted to see the penguins.....but thankfully we got in the next time :) And saw the tigers too, from behind the glass thing like you're meant to...

Anyway, that girl is such a ****ing idiot, and so is anyone who has any sympathy for her....a Siberian tiger, seriously...
    Reminds me of that guy in Galweh that got his arm gnawed off. Darwin awards anyone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They're beautiful creatures.

I still wouldn't try to pat one!

SDooM wrote:
    They're beautiful creatures.

I still wouldn't try to pat one!
    I know - I'd love to get near a tame one to 'pet' it (assuming you can actually pet a 300lb animal)...Beautiful beautiful animals.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I mean , even if you pat a labrador and he's lovely and all you still have a healthy respect for its jaws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah jaysus the poor tiger I hope its getting therapy !!! Probably put him (or her) off eating humans for life !!!

"So Tony what was that human like then, I heard they tasted like chicken.."

"Jaysus Timmy she tasted like Dutch Gold mixed with Bacardi Breezer, I was puking my ring up all day. I'm going veggie after that!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

more. more. sigh.

certainly, the tiger has shown it's commitment to the peace process by decommisioning arms, it deserves a place in stormont i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

DEBBIE DOES ST JAMES HOSPITAL

LOSER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Bambi wrote:
    certainly, the tiger has shown it's commitment to the peace process by decommisioning arms, it deserves a place in stormont i think

Legend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i have absolutely no sympathy for that pathetic idiot. if anyone was wathcing the 6 o'clock news you will have wItnessed a clearly intelligent woman being interviewed. she said what i think the whole nation is thinking-what an IDIOT!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If I were drawing up the newspaper headlines it would have to be

"16 year old loses arm in Northsider pussy...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Step back... Pet the kitty? No. Hop over a number of barriers (apparently there for no reason) endanger your life, make a complete idiot out of yourself and the zoo authorities?

the stupidity and arrogance of some people still amazes me. I was on first aid duty in the zoo and was told that an animal had never escaped. I asked has anyone gone in. I was told 'sure no one would be stupid enough to do that.

Thatll tell you what sort of a person it was that went to pet the kitty!:confused:

er dunno how that happened, meant gap. though you never know with the park is suppose. tis edited!
    I don't think so. Lucy the chimp was kinda tamed because her mammy rejected her so Gerry Jnr brought her home for a couple of months with him. They had to reintroduce her to her fellow chimps so she's a bit wilder now. The peacocks are tame enough, they roam around randomly but I still wouldn't touch one! The ducks are cheeky.. Parrots are pretty tame and the lemurs .. are just inquisitive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Tiger shouldve eaten her tbh, one less idiot on the planet.

When was this? Could of been me who refused you lol. The policy is noone under 16 is allowed in without an adult.,,which for some reason is anyone over 16.
    What usually happens is a group of kids come up and say they want the cheaper child tickets. We smile and say ''Okay but do you have an adult with you because of our insurance policy and our own safety you cannot enter without an adult who will be responsible if anything happens to you, ie, falling over , tripping on a daisy or climbing into a tiger enclosure and getting mauled to death :D''

Then they're suddenly all 17. If people do that we don't let them in unless one of them provides I.D saying they are over 16. It's just the way it is. If you were refused it could have been because you picked the wrong cashier, ie someone who has been there for 10 years and really doesn't want to risk their job letting under 16's in when they lied in the first place :/ Ain't worth it I'm afraid! :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Maybe she was on peyote.

Poor thing though - maybe first time drinking & trying to impress someone, 16 year olds can be awfully young.

I still think "you idiot" but I mean saying she deserved it is a bit harsh - deserve implies she harmed someone\thing in some way - and no that was probably the highlight of an encaptured tiger's life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

She was obviously "on" something be it drink or hash.

Or maybe she did it as a dare!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I still think "you idiot" but I mean saying she deserved it is a bit harsh - deserve implies she harmed someone\thing in some way - and no that was probably the highlight of an encaptured tiger's life.

You have no idea what she was trying to get close to that enclosure to do. We're all assuming she wanted to pet one of the tigers. Perhaps she was trying to feed it something? Razor blades, broken glass, drugs, a syringe - people do the strangest things. Maybe she was offering it something through the fence and it tried to take her hand off.

If you think an opportunity to savage someone is the highlight of a captive animal's day, you may not understand the balance that routine plays in the life of a zoo animal. Dealing with a full grown siberian tiger is dangerous, and the best way to do it is keep the animals as calm as possible at all times. This stupid girl has not only put herself in danger, but endangered the tiger keepers who now have to deal with agitated animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Chakar wrote:
    She was obviously "on" something be it drink or hash.

I bet she sobered up fair quick.
    The idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

anyone ever go up the side of the zoo along the polo grounds and see the tigers, freeview, through the fence. most days ya see nothing but the odd occasion they are right up against the first fence. the 20metre fence that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Ha ha, dumbass girl, serves her right. While she was at it she should have done the oul "stick your head in lion's mouth" routine....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement