Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is knocking part of a wall for a window possible/easy

• 12-07-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

as above, i want to put some windows into an existing block wall. how is it done and is it expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

difficulty depends on the type of wall
    Is it load bearing?
    Upstairs or down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Reckon this is a post where Rooferpete would excel......pity he be banned

Be careful knocking wall, you need to know the rest of the house won't fall too.

Really you need someone like Rooferpete to answer, but anyway here's my surprise for you: not all new opening will need to have a new lintel installed, but the problem is knowing which will and won't, and I am afraid I could not definitively tell you whats what with regard to this without endangering your house.

Kadman might help - think he's a structural engineer/CAD draughtsman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Installing an additional window is not as simple as knocking a hole in the wall, you will need to check to see if the wall is a load baring wall and if the ceiling joists are carried on it as well...
    You would need to support the floor above using acrows and a plank (props) while the work is being carried out..
    Cutting out the window is not a big job, but can be messy, you can drill a series of holes and kango it out, or use a concrete saw.
    Care is needed in fitting the sill, lintels and damp course to avoid dampness further on...If you are unsure, ask an engineer or a builder to have a look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Seeing as its external, its load bearing to some degree. Probably best and easier to use a pressed steel lintol rather than a pre-stressed concrete one.
    As previously said, the hole is going to be easier than DPCs, and tying everything together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Thanks for help, its a single level commercial unit, with a normal pitched roof. the wall is loadbearing . i think i will need an engineer to watch the builder do it so it all doesnt collapse. i think it will probably need the joists supported before kangoing out the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Elfish wrote:
    Reckon this is a post where Rooferpete would excel......pity he be banned

Be careful knocking wall, you need to know the rest of the house won't fall too.

Really you need someone like Rooferpete to answer, but anyway here's my surprise for you: not all new opening will need to have a new lintel installed, but the problem is knowing which will and won't, and I am afraid I could not definitively tell you whats what with regard to this without endangering your house.

Kadman might help - think he's a structural engineer/CAD draughtsman

Sure Rooferpete can still excel, and give you the answer for this one.

Boards is not the only forum that rooferpete and kadman post on, pm me and I'll point the way.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If it is a single storey structure the load bearing element is quite limited nonetheless you do have to factor in the need to carry overhead weight (brick/block courses above window ope, roofing structure).

Steel lintels are much easier to manouever into position than traditional conc lintels. But oyu could also create a form and make your own in-situ, probably not worth the bother for a one off.

You do not require an engineer to supervise a builder to do this, a builder's mate would knock this up in no time, trick is to find one and how would you recognise a good one? That said it would be cheaper to hire an architectural technician, more hands on than architect but more cost effective than an engineer.

IMO retaining an engineer would be firing the canon to kill the fly. Ancillary works like sealing the cavitiy, thermal and damp insulation as well mastic sealing the window post installation etc are all straight forward.

Advertisement