Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eye contact

• 12-07-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

i have become conscious of this lately and i tend to be having awkward eye locking moments
    something i never experienced before unil i became conscious of it
    can someone please help me or advice me on what to do.
    i really read your advice!
    some general recommendations on how to maintain eye contact with different people

thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I look nearly everyone I meet in the eye, along the street or wherever. I think it freaks people out a little.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Do you find it difficult to maintain eye contact with everybody or just with people you're attracted to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

from AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I think the more you practice it the easier it will get. Nobody minds if you look them in the eye as long as you don't overdo it because they'll think you're weird. Maybe practice it a lot with people you feel comfortable with first?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 randomman

it's funny you get a lot of issues on thesse boards that you wouldn't find anywhere else. I think this is partly a self-confidence issue as I had the same problem myself and still kind of do at times. What I started doing was looking at their mouths instead of their eyes and kind of looking from their mouths to their eyes from time to time as they were talking. Think everyone is kind of awkward about this kind of thing, best thing is not to think about it or worry about it as its not a big problem anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Personally I prefer to lock my eyes on the boobs, but some say look them girls in the eyes works better. :D

Just look at her and smile dude. you got nothing to loose. If she smiles, game's on, if she doesn't...well, her loss, since you're much better than she is :)

Don't be shy, life is too short...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

You could try "gazing" rather than staring. Just soften the look and smile.. dont hold too long though if not comfortable.

I always maintain eye contact with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Boobytrap wrote:
    Personally I prefer to lock my eyes on the boobs, but some say look them girls in the eyes works better. :D

Just look at her and smile dude. you got nothing to loose. If she smiles, game's on, if she doesn't...well, her loss, since you're much better than she is :)

Don't be shy, life is too short...

Who said anything about looking at girls in particular?

As soon as you become less conscious of the 'eye-lock' situation you'll get it over it. I think when making eye contact there also has to be some other form of interaction to compliment it thus turning it from a crazy stare to a means of communication e.g. by nodding, smiling, speaking.

Yesterday I caught a girl giving me the once-over with with her eyes and when our eyes met (hers more than mine...:) ) she smiled. It was a nice moment although when I walked past her I made sure I checked my flies weren't undone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

HAHA! brilliant!

I have a bit of a problem with eye contact too, I more look at thier nose or mouth when I am speaking to them (it's not because I am short btw!) I just get an uneasy sensation when my eyes meet with someone elses, I feel naked or something

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

Blink plenty and move your head gently and it's not creepy. Eye contact is a great sign of confidence, just make sure you are talking to the person at the time!!!!!

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    Who said anything about looking at girls in particular?
    Me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thnkas for teh fall the hlp lads
    some really good tips there that i already started sing today
    they really work
    thanks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I either make eye contact or I look at the ground. I hate when I see someone's eyes glancing at my hair or another part of my face when I'm talking. It almost makes me forget about what I'm talking about.

I find it very easy to mantain eye contact with attractive girls, maybe it's just because i'm interested in them. I find it more difficult to maintain it with men and older women, but usually don't put in much effort and just not bothered with the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

was jus thinkin abt this on the Luas today

If its packed, I never know where to look

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My problem with eye contact is I maintain too much of it. I find myself having to consciously look away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

With someone I care about, eye contact is vital. Othertimes it's just being courteous, unless in a culture where it's not. Had a friend who claimed to have a problem looking someone in the eyes and solved it by looking at the place between their eyes! I thought this amusing, but it seemed to work for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

^^^^
    I'm not sure that's the best solution coz if ye're standin close to a girl ye're chatting up, would ye not look a bit cross-eyed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i look at the bridge of the nose. its almost identical to eye contact with less of the worries. i was actually like this for a while, except me eyes startin waterin it was so bgad, in fact i still get it when im uncomfortable. sometimes its really bad. but i found ur best bet is the bridge of the nose and just nod and agree! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

With people at work, I only have brief eye contact, I look away a lot, at something else or the floor or whatever. When someone keeps continuous eye contact with me, I find it really unsettling, it's almost threatening, or you think the person's too clingy.

With someone I'm attracted to, no continuous eye contact then either. Only I look back at the person more frequently and spend more time looking at them.

However when I meet someone in the hall, I try to establish eye contact for a quick Hello so they don't think I'm a snob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whatastupidname

I think if you make constant eye contact with people you don't know very well that it can make both parties uncomfortable. Maybe I'm wrong though....

Advertisement