Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Eircom charge people for stepping over the download cap?

• 12-07-2006 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I remember reading here that some companies do not/can not enforce overage costs if their users go over the allowed bandwidth (I think EsatBT was one of them) but does Eircom enforce the fee for going a bit overboard on the downloading (7GB in two days so far since it was activated)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

No they have never charged anyone as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

So its safe for me to download rakes and rakes of stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 IrishNinjaX

well if your limit is 20 gigs and you hit 50 i think they might have a problem with it, also acording to their terms they will stop the subsciption of users who repeatedly go over the limit by a large amount,

Fantastic stuff.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

4 of us in my house using Eircom starter broadband connection. Personally I go way over the limit every month on my own and we've never had any hassle.

• Advertisement

DL: 13.09GB
    UL: 10.16GB
    Combined: 23.26GB

In 10 days. And I got an invite to a private torrent site I am getting a combined 375k/sec download. Oh crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

This has been asked and answered countless times, most recently here.

In short, no they don't but they can choose to at any time in the future as it's stated in the T's&C's that you signed up for.

So my advice would be to take it handy when you go over your limit. Don't take the total mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was told by a Polish guy during the week that he had a huge phone bill (with eircom) after he downloaded something like 100GB in a month. He was charged a few cents, didn't say how much, for every MB over 10 gigabytes. I haven't heard of any other cases of this. 100 GB is extreme though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

How accurate are the stats? My stats are way off, they say I've been on the net for 716 hours in June and I was away for a week, so it was nigh on impossible for me to be on that long. 30 days by 24 hours is 720 hours. My machine was off for the week I was away, plus they say we downloaded 12101 mb in that month, on what I don't know. 30 songs from iTunes and a Software update of 100mb plus your average surfing time, nothing out of the ordinary is all that was done. I have come to the conclusion that the stats on line are flawed. I am going to do a few tests and turn off the modem when it is not in use and see what that throws up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

How accurate are the stats? My stats are way off, they say I've been on the net for 716 hours in June and I was away for a week, so it was nigh on impossible for me to be on that long. 30 days by 24 hours is 720 hours. My machine was off for the week I was away, plus they say we downloaded 12101 mb in that month, on what I don't know. 30 songs from iTunes and a Software update of 100mb plus your average surfing time, nothing out of the ordinary is all that was done. I have come to the conclusion that the stats on line are flawed. I am going to do a few tests and turn off the modem when it is not in use and see what that throws up.

switch to netsource (when your 12 month auto reneuwal contract is up) no download limit as far as i know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I worked for Eircom.net and yes, they have charged people for going over the limit, and even charging a few cent per mb over, it usually works out to be a massive bill.
    Having said that, they did only charge people who were completely taking the piss, usually they did "request" that you up your account to one with a higher download limit.

Thanks to Hughchal! I had this message posted elsewhere and he provided a widget for use with my Mac that measures internet traffic up and down and the stats are right! The culprit is Bebo, surprise surprise! If you look at the traffic while connected to Bebo you use up a meg every 5 seconds compared to using a meg every two minutes while connected to most other sites, I suppose all the video clips and phots have a massive demand on your account. The 'hours online' purely measure how long the modem is switched on and therefore is worded wrongly, and with an always on service it shouldn't matter. So, if you are going over your limit monthly and saw the above post by McGovern, have a look at what's causing the problem and sort ouit a potential row before it gets out of hand and you get charged retrospectively :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

mcgovern wrote:
    I worked for Eircom.net and yes, they have charged people for going over the limit, and even charging a few cent per mb over, it usually works out to be a massive bill.
    Having said that, they did only charge people who were completely taking the piss, usually they did "request" that you up your account to one with a higher download limit.

Hey cool someone from eircom plays attention

how much is the going rate for 1gig over the limit?

i remember that back in the day when the low package for broadband was 512k down 128k up and a 4/6 gig limit that some guy downloaded nearly a terabyte and eircom we advertising it ( could have been friend talking crap i just wanted to belive it because eircom would have supported file pirates and then eircom would be cool:cool: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Hey cool someone from eircom plays attention

how much is the going rate for 1gig over the limit?

i remember that back in the day when the low package for broadband was 512k down 128k up and a 4/6 gig limit that some guy downloaded nearly a terabyte and eircom we advertising it ( could have been friend talking crap i just wanted to belive it because eircom would have supported file pirates and then eircom would be cool:cool: )

I don't know how much they charge now, I left 2 years ago, there were people charged 100s of euro, but they had been warned beforehand and kept downloading several times there allowance.

They 'reserve the right' to charge 1cent per meg you go over the cap. In my case for June, 2000 megs over the limit = €20, I wasn't charged but was scared when I saw how easy it is to go over the cap! So if you are going way over and doubling or tripling your download, 10 gigs over is €100 and so on. It's in the terms and conditions very visible on the page where you check your stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

When I was with them I doubled the cap every single month for the 12 months I was with them. Not once did I stay under the cap, and notn once was I charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I got my bill this morning which was €55 over the normal with no call charges, and it was the first month I ever went over the cap by like 5GB or so.

I'm fuming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Oh this month im well over the limit... Getting a bit scared now i might not even turn the machine on for the next week or so.

Also how on earth can you check what you have downloaded ?
    I go onto there web site and try and log in using my number and my account number and i get a error each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

@funkyflea
    check your bill again really don't think that u have been charged...
    For the last 10 months or so that i was with eircom i always went over my cap of 40gb by a min of 20gb and on some occasions 40gb...... at the same time there are warnings on eircoms web pages of charges of 1cent per MB , that works out at 10.00euro per GB....... i was never charged, but i did hold back on some of downloading with the fear of MAYBE been charged.... as 40gb over my cap would give an extra 400euro on my monthly fone bill!!!!

I believe what most people say that no-one has been charged, and really heavy users would be put on the next higher package (eircoms unlimited is a whopping 149 euro a month)
    Anyway i have since moved to Magnet for a 4mb/100gb package , and they state on their web site that its 50cent a GB for over dloading(compared to eircoms 10.00euro a GB)

cramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hey.

Ive never had any problems with Eircom BB, Ive had them for the past 2 years and the service has been consistant, I have regularly gone over the Cap but i have never been charged anything extra.

Yes it might cost more than other providers but again as i said there have never been any interuptions in service and also i seem to get an upgrade every 6 months, i started with a 512kb/sec package and now i have been upgraded for free to a 2Mb/sec package with an increase on my Cap.

I guess the treat of charges for breaking the Cap is just a deterant for people not to do it. Although im sure people who excessively break the Cap regularly and by many GB's, are looked into.

Overflow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ladyez

Eircom currently do not charge if you go over your limit, regardless of how far you go over but as far as i know it is monitered and high users are noted each month. This is with the always on dsl packages.
    If you are using the Time package that gives you 20 hrs a month and you go over that then you will be charged. As far as I know Imagine, Smart and Esat have the same type of package and they invoke the same charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have heard of these polish guys down here in waterford. Who have the 10gig limit from eircom and well they abused the sytem big time and dl well over 100gigs one month. They did get charged by eircom or at least they told my friend who works with them they did.

Advertisement