Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percolation Test

Options
  • 12-07-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Looks like im gona have to get a percolation test done.. but ive heard they are 600 quid?? :) anyone got any recommendations on views on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I paid €350 abut 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Going rate in Donegal is €500 - €600. Money for old rope

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

It depend on the ground conditions. If it is standard/normal ground ie:not bog and not sheet rock then it should be cheaper than €600 I think.

I think it also depends on how strict your engineer is about signing off on the percolation test;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ace101

I got a test done recently by a company in drogheda, called Enviropro. They were the cheapest I found. I have there number somewhere if i find it later I'll post it

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Where are you based at Skywalker? Might be able to help you out. PM me with your details if you are interested.

Regards,

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

650 euro in cork, 150 for the hire of the digger for the few hours

that price you're quoted appears to be the norm

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

What happens if you fail the percolation test? What's the next step? I never got one done, It was going to fail anyway due to the subsoil which had absolutely no soakage. I got a site report from one of the sewage treatment suppliers (Bord na mona) which was free and applied for planning permission with this. I think things may have changed, but you could look into the possibility of taking this route, but it may be compulsory now.

AdrianR wrote:
    What happens if you fail the percolation test? What's the next step? I never got one done, It was going to fail anyway due to the subsoil which had absolutely no soakage. I got a site report from one of the sewage treatment suppliers (Bord na mona) which was free and applied for planning permission with this. I think things may have changed, but you could look into the possibility of taking this route, but it may be compulsory now.
    The norm here is to apply for the PP showing an ordinary septic tank (unless the site is a swamp) and submit the application without the site assessment.
    If the EHO or the planner require a site assessment they will do so by way of a request for further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

AdrianR wrote:
    What happens if you fail the percolation test?
    As I understand it, you can't "fail" these tests. They test the soil and then recommend the type of system, whether you have to have raised percolation area with imported material etc.

I suppose if you get away without all well and good, but if you live somewhere with nit picking planners, you're probably as well getting it done before to cross it off the reason to reject list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Hi Guys thanks for all the info.

this is in the Meath area, council sent a letter back after sending an app in looking for the test in case anyone is wondering...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdrianR

The norm here is to apply for the PP showing an ordinary septic tank (unless the site is a swamp) and submit the application without the site assessment.
    If the EHO or the planner require a site assessment they will do so by way of a request for further information.

My house is beside a lake, I was told before hand that I wouldn't get away with a normal septic tank due to this, so I applied for PP with a treatment system and site report. Are Co Co's still giving PP for one off houses with septic tank only?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

AdrianR wrote:
    My house is beside a lake, I was told before hand that I wouldn't get away with a normal septic tank due to this, so I applied for PP with a treatment system and site report. Are Co Co's still giving PP for one off houses with septic tank only?

AFAIK Treatment sytems are now standard requirement for any site near a water source (ie) lake , river , springs etc

AdrianR wrote:
    Are Co Co's still giving PP for one off houses with septic tank only?
    Dont know about other counties but in Donegal i would say that half of them or more get through with the conventional septic tank. Like a lot of areas there are places here in the county that would be generally known to have either good or bad soil characteristics. So the percentage rates would change a bit from one part of the county to the other.
    In the general area where I am located (known as the Finn Valley region) I'd say about 70% are passed with septic tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Do these prices cover everything required? ie do these companies come out and dig all required holes or would i have to arrange that myself? someone above mentioned a mini digger...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I dug the holes with a JCB and supplied him with a tank of water and some hose. He turned up with a trowel, a stopwatch and a pen. As Muffler says, money for old rope.

If you opt for a private site assessment you will have to pay for the digger to dig the main test hole (2 metres deep)and the guy who comes out should dig 2 smaller percolation test holes (450mm x 400mm) with a spade. But they have been known to insist on a mini digger being there that will do all or alternatively yourself or someone else to be present to dig the small holes.

My advice is to shop around. Phone the system suppliers and see what the cost of their units are and if a site assessment is included in the price. Some of them like Bord Na Mona who supply the Puraflo unit will charge for the assessment first but if you proceed to buy the puraflo they will deduct the site assessment charge from the overall price. Bit of a sales gimmick though.

The alternative as I've said is to have it done privately and then ring round to see where you can get the best deal. Dont necessarily take the advice of whoever does the testing in relation to a particular treatment system as they are normally on a referral bonus. You could get this bonus knocked off the cost of the unit yourself.

Just make sure that whatever unit you opt for has an Irish Agrement Cert. There is also some new EC compliant cert in force but tbh I haven't had time yet to familiarise myself with it yet. The auld septic tank is still OK here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Muffler is spot on here. Any time I have done them, I get the client to dig the holes, both trial hole and percolation holes (Lazy I know) but never recommend a particular system unless it is warrented. (If a septic tank is acceptable then go for it) However, as tighter controls will slowly reduce the use of the old septic tank!
    Anyway, whatever system you do opt for, ensure it has an Agrement Certificate as alot of units out there dont and can lead to problems very easily.

Regards,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 quattfa3

skywalker,

The price is fine as long as the person doing the job is certified (has completed the FAS/GSI/EPA Wastewater Treatment Systems for Single Houses course), has enough PI (~€500-€1m) cover for the job and is conforming to the guidelines the EPA and GSI set out.

They should issue you with a site characterisation report after they are finished. The report can be considered in two parts; the evidence gathering and synthesising part and the conclusions and recommendations part.

The percolation tests are only part of the evidence gathering. The conclusions will dictate if the type of system, if any, that is appropriate.

The recommendations are a very important part of the report. They need not specify the exact system that is installed. If the recommendations are not carried out exactly as the site assessor has issued them, the client has very little come back if the system doesn't work. As Johnniep said, the best way is to ask the assessor for a list of Irish Agrement Certificated systems that are suitable for the site and to shop around.

The septic tank followed by a percolation area (on suitable sites) is the most favoured systems from a GSI/EPA perspective. The reasoning is that conventional septic tank systems are the lowest maintenance systems around and that they treat the effluent to an acceptable level.

If someone is just doing a percolation test (SR6 style) and trying to charge you 600 quid: Tell 'em to shove it up their hole...

Advertisement