Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Peugeot 106 GTI or Rallye

Options
  • 12-07-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Going across to England towards the end of the month to get a Peugeot 106 GTI, Rallye or Saxo VTR (they have the same engine, haven't they?). 1997 to 2000.

What should I be looking out for when buying these?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

you bastard.

i hate you.

being able to afford insurance on a GTi...

it sucks to be young, doesnt it:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Its the saxo vts which uses the 1.6 16valve engine, same as the 106 gti.
    The rallye, guessing you mean the later s2 model, uses a 1.6 8valve engine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The rallye has more torque and is a lighter car(lots of weight saving). The rallye is much rarer than the others. Just a thought resale wise. Me, that would be the one I'd be buying. That aside the GTi has more creature comforts. They handle so much better than most other so called gti's. Good luck with your search.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

The 106 Rallye S2 model(newer one) has a 1.6 8 Valve producing 103bhp, the 106 GTi + Saxo VTS have a 1.6 16v producing 120bhp. The Rallye however is a shade lighter so its not a huge gap slower than the GTi/VTS

The VTR has a 1.4 8 Valve engine AFAIK

The VTS/GTI or Rallye are pure peaches to drive and are super quick. best of luck - if your going to England to buy - Check for underbody rust - NCT Fail

@ KamiKazi - What age r u? I got insured for 2,700 TP first ever driving experience, provisional licensce, 20 yrs of age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

a fine choice!!
    I just went over to leeds and picked up a 1.4 106 xsi. Its amazing the savings even after all the vrts and tax. It will be a hassle though to get the full V5 off the owner,so sort that out in advance.
    The rallye has a closer ratio gearbox which means incredible acceleration but the saxo will pull away in the higher gears 80+.
    Gtis are ragged to death,so be careful. If you want check out www.106rallye.com/newforum Its a haven for rallye fans and good deals. Its also handy for parts,servicing questions and the likes. Just be aware,that these cars are prone to the odd fault. They are french after all. So budget in atleast 200-500 to get it to the way you want it (and also mr.nct!) Theres a few rallye owners living in terenure and goatstown,and they'r always so nice when you have a question or you want to chat with them about potentially buying a car. Best of luck, and you wont regret it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

KamiKazi wrote:
    you bastard.

i hate you.

being able to afford insurance on a GTi...

it sucks to be young, doesnt it:p:p

Insurance on them is pretty resonable imo, what age are you?

I drove a VTS before buying my 206 GTi, nice car with good handling and somewhat comfortable. 206 won out tho' because of the torque and creature comforts. VTS will be alot cheaper than a 106 Gti/Rallye but they do have "chav" factor but I love how they look. 106 gti is slightly better specced than the VTS with half leather seats etc.. but apart from that they are essentially the same car. Rallye is meant to be great fun but I'd imagine they are though to find. Avoid the VTR, Sluggish car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

@ KamiKazi - What age r u? I got insured for 2,700 TP first ever driving experience, provisional licensce, 20 yrs of age

im 19 with 2 years no claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

is that on your own policy or named driver. either way you should be looking at under 2,500

try brittons, no other company in the country would touch this car unless i was over 25

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

a fine choice!!
    I just went over to leeds and picked up a 1.4 106 xsi. Its amazing the savings even after all the vrts and tax. It will be a hassle though to get the full V5 off the owner,so sort that out in advance.
    The rallye has a closer ratio gearbox which means incredible acceleration but the saxo will pull away in the higher gears 80+.
    Gtis are ragged to death,so be careful. If you want check out www.106rallye.com/newforum Its a haven for rallye fans and good deals. Its also handy for parts,servicing questions and the likes. Just be aware,that these cars are prone to the odd fault. They are french after all. So budget in atleast 200-500 to get it to the way you want it (and also mr.nct!) Theres a few rallye owners living in terenure and goatstown,and they'r always so nice when you have a question or you want to chat with them about potentially buying a car. Best of luck, and you wont regret it!

Rallye owners in Terenure and Goatstown? Where?!

Advertisement