Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FREE mobile phone contacts backup service

• 12-07-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Found a new service where you can back up all the contacts in your mobile phone phonebackup.ie

Pretty handy if you lose your mobile phone or get it stolen :mad:

Just registered, worked fine!
    All my contacts are saved online

Apparently it uses a sync feature that is already in your mobile phone
    It's completely wireless so you can sync from anywhere, which is cool.

And it's free :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

not sure if the other operators have something similar
    but vodafone have an option to sync your phone with your vodafone live mailbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

jarod wrote:
    Just registered, worked fine!
    All my contacts are saved online
    Apparently it uses a sync feature that is already in your mobile phone
    It's completely wireless so you can sync from anywhere, which is cool.

Service Temporarily Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at phonebackup.ie Port 80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jarod

just on the website now. works fine!

www.phonebackup.ie

Not sure about the Voda stuff cos I'm on O2 but this one is network independent as far as I can see.

you just sign up, put your settings into your phone and off you go...you can sync your contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

"You can test drive the phonebackup.ie service for FREE until August 31st 2006"

Previous poster is right, Vodafone support Syncml between contacts on phone and contacts in their Vodafone mail address book.

From a Vodafone perspective, its useful for backing up your phone in case you lose it, or have to send it off for a repair, but its also useful because its the same address book you use in Webtext (and unbilled calls if you are a bill pay customer)

If you are a Vodafone customer (and your handset is certified as supported) then it is a free service to customers.

Be warned, all syncml services work with varying degrees of success depending on how you have configured your phone address book (and whether or not you have existing contacts in your online address book)

In all cases, I would recommend noting critical numbers down as a just in case measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Not suggesting anything, i havent even clicked the link, but can you think of any reason someone would like you to submit all the phone numbers in your address book to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

CiaranC wrote:
    Not suggesting anything, i havent even clicked the link, but can you think of any reason someone would like you to submit all the phone numbers in your address book to them?

Agreed, I'm not sure if I want all my contacts up there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im not sure your contacts would be too happy with the idea of you submitting their number to random websites either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jarod

CiaranC wrote:
    Im not sure your contacts would be too happy with the idea of you submitting their number to random websites either...

fair enough. I wasn't looking at it from that point of view but more from the point of view of when you do not have your numbers anymore for whatever reason

if you lose your phone, that's the obvious, but say if you have no battery or left your phone at home and you need to call someone, or when you're abroad
    you can access your numbers online.

There's an SSL cert
    the privacy policy seems alright
    I wouldn't feel less secure than when I keep all my emails in gmail for example.

would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

jarod wrote:
    fair enough. I wasn't looking at it from that point of view but more from the point of view of when you do not have your numbers anymore for whatever reason

if you lose your phone, that's the obvious, but say if you have no battery or left your phone at home and you need to call someone, or when you're abroad
    you can access your numbers online.

There's an SSL cert
    the privacy policy seems alright
    I wouldn't feel less secure than when I keep all my emails in gmail for example.

would you?
    All SSL or https mean is the traffic between your pc and the server is encryped, it doesnt mean that the person owning the site is not able for example to harvest all the numbers, and sell them to some premimum text service provider, or to a telemarketer.

Want to make sure ur contacts are backed up? get a cable and back up your fone onto your pc, regularly. Or back up onto the memory card, and back that file up onto ur pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anyone have any experience with them ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement