Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outsider

Options
  • 12-07-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

its a rare event that a game sneaks up on me but i can honestly say i didnt see this one coming. I have long been a fan and proponent of Braben, Elite and frontier have eaten more of my life than any other game. I bought the August issue of Edge when i saw his name on the cover and soon after the whimpering commenced (i actually yelped when i saw the back inside cover)

I know the old saying dont judge a book by its cover translates easily into gamerese as dont judge a game by its pre-renders, but with the pedigree of development behind it and from what i have seen and read of the ideas going into this game i await 2008 with bated breath.

The official site
    Gameinfowire story
    Gamespot Story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nothing worth getting exciting about yet, but it does sound promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah, i remember hearing something about this a few months ago, looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

david braben uttering the words "im working on a new game" are grounds for excitement for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

That inside back cover really brought back memories! I spent so much time playing Elite on my Spectrum - it stands out as one of my favourite games, even though the graphics were so basic it's not funny :)

As far as The Outsider goes, like you I hadn't heard of it before, and bought Edge cause of the Elite reference :) Still, sounds promising, and if they can pull it off and release it on the XBox 360, I'll be buying it :)

Now, if they could release Elite as a XBox Live Arcade game, I really would be happy :D

Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

The Edge Magazine have a 10 page article on it this month. It's a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sorry for being so n00bish, but what format is this game? RPG, FPS, RTS, third person?

I couldn't see any explanation from the reviews or screen shots. What is the main storyline for this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

It's hardly sneaking up on you if it will be in development for another 2 years:P Nice to see David Braben bringing something new out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

jaggeh wrote:
    david braben uttering the words "im working on a new game" are grounds for excitement for me :)

I think someone could do with a cherry coke right about now to relax , careful now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

L31mr0d wrote:
    sorry for being so n00bish, but what format is this game? RPG, FPS, RTS, third person?

I couldn't see any explanation from the reviews or screen shots. What is the main storyline for this game?
    space trading type stuff...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_%28computer_game%29
    as far as the storyline goes... god knows. i'd imagine the edge article gives a bit of insight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the premise for The Outsider is, you are a cia agent who is put into the 'evil doer' category by the government at the start of the game. you spend the game trying to prove your innocence.

the way they are billing it you will have complete freedom as to how you manage to complete the game, through crime or being good. finding evidence or smearing/killing witnesses etc.

They are working on a replica or pseudo washington sandbox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement