Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claude Butler hybrid bikes......

Options
  • 12-07-2006 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

....question is are they any good ? :confused: I'd like the ruggedness of a mountain bike but the speed of a standard racer. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Big Tone wrote:
    ....question is are they any good ? :confused: I'd like the ruggedness of a mountain bike but the speed of a standard racer. :confused:
    Some of them are good, some not. They tend to be cheaper than the main brands (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc.) so you can get good value for money.

Unfortunately you will _not_ get "the ruggedness of a mountain bike but the speed of a standard racer" together; even the lightest fastest hybrid is going to be slower than an entry-level racer (mainly due to the riding position), and the faster a hybrid is (e.g. road gear ratios and thin wheels/tyres) the less suitable it is for off-road use.

So if you are thinking of a hybrid, I think the first question is whether you need a more mountain-bikey one or a more road-bikey one.

What is your intended use? A racer will be just as "rugged" as a mountain bike if you never take it off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Thanks for your reply blorg. I'll be for on-road usage mainly, its a Claude Butlet Voyager 24 speed, its a very light bike but strong looking but it aint too cheap at well over €300. A buddy has a Trek mountain bike costing less. I'd use it for general leisure usage ie downtown and countryside cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Is it this one: http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/HYBRID/voyager.html

If so, if you are getting it under €400 that would seem like a very good price, looking at the GBP prices. (equivalent to €480-535)

That bike will _not_ be particularly fast (44 chainring is very small, 700x38 very fat tyres) and would probably be OK on rough ground and reasonably rugged but nothing off-road beyond that (due to the riding position, adjustable stem, etc.) The adjustable stem is great for being able to easily adjust the riding position somewhat but is really annoying if you want to get bar-ends or do any harder riding involving pulling on the handlebars in any way (e.g. going up hill.) The front suspension adds weight and absorbs pedaling power.

It would however probably be a good comfortable bike for ambling around the city relatively slowly. You are also getting a good rack and mudguards for free.

TBH though if you are going to be on-road and want speed, I'd get a flat-bar road bike (thin tyres, less upright cycling position.) If you want something that will still be faster than this and better off-road, I'd look at a mountain-bikey hybrid like the Trek 7x series.

However if you are not in a hurry, not going very far, want comfort and an upright cycling position this is the bike for you. (I started serious cycling on something very similar and cycled over 1000k across Spain on one.)

EDIT: Regarding the prices, I think you must be looking at a previous model year, the 2006 is 27-speed and seems upgraded from the 2005 model; RRP seems to have jumped from £250 to £370 on the new year model (and I saw the 2005 on the net on sale for £170 =~€250) - so maybe the price you are getting is not so fantastic after all.

Advertisement