Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Pro - Gun Arguments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

trixter wrote:
    They have been posted on a previous page. I didnt realize that when I replied becuase I hadnt read enough of the thread to find out that others posted at least 2 urls that talked about it and suggested a book that also talked about this stuff.

one of those sites has closed up for good and the other is a bit of a mess.

I was hoping you'd have links to the FBI reports so i could read them or something. I'll do a little searching on the net but if you had em handy that'd be cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

Vegeta wrote:
    one of those sites has closed up for good and the other is a bit of a mess.

I was hoping you'd have links to the FBI reports so i could read them or something. I'll do a little searching on the net but if you had em handy that'd be cool
    off the cuff, I dont have any handy but did find this http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fidc9397.pdf

That is a bit dated, and moore picked a particularly high year. His numbers seemed to be based off the CDC which uses funeral directors reports in addition to police reports, medical examiners etc. The odd thing about funeral directors, and why I think the CDC shouldnt be allowed to do this, is becuase by law if there is a shooting in america the police are required to investigate, if there is a death they investigate more. The only instance where a funeral director will state the cause of death (and most arent medical doctors so they have no real ability to determine cause of death anyway) is when they are killed out of the country and shipped back for burial.

Moore picked a year that was particularly high, I think it had something to do with soldiers who were killed in bosnia or kosovo or whatever. As a result they werent killed the way moore presents it. I know it was about the time that stuff was going on, not sure if it was that year specifically.

I do know that the department of justice (who the FBI is one part of, and who feeds the UN its stats) has a WAY lower number.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

There are plenty of pro-gun arguments that can be made without pithy sayings. While I may agree with some of them, I think they do little to advance the cause of gun rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

While we’re putting down the US,
    One of many things that helped the 94 assault weapons ban was this statement.
    X amount of children are killed every year by firearms.
    The somewhat gray area is many of these children are up to 21 years of age.
    Street gangs and or drug wars we’re left out as well.

Advertisement