Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag List for Balbriggan - needed quickly!

Options
  • 12-07-2006 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Have organised to do my snag list for this Friday (14th July) but the snagger has just cancelled (long story, totally justifiable).

Does anyone know a snagger that they would recommend? It's a 2-bed terraced house.

Am trolling through the Golden Pages at the moment but would welcome any names anyone can recommend.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

sugark, in that area I noticed there are lots of signs about posted up for snaggers (again, no idea how good they are or otherwise).
    There is fair few of those signs in Balbriggan area in general really, but specifically there is one just at the turning into Flemmington Lane (Assuming going on the main road, not back road into F. Lane).

This was mentioned on this forum in the past, no real details, so unsure of quality etc.
    Possibly ask Fingal if they know/recommend one?

http://www.homesnag.ie/

On further reading ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2118089&postcount=2

Also, you may try posting at :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=175
    Someone may be living in the area who's willing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

or www.myhome.ie under suryveyors

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

my sister used homesnag.ie for her snag a while back - very efficient and very thorough. My brother in law (engineer) came home recently and checked the house after snag was cleared by builder and didn't pick anything extra out that may have been missedi n original snag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

Got Homesnag to do it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys! Panic over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

Do alot you of you professional snaggers? I did mine myself.

• Advertisement

This being my first house, and me being DIY-challenged, I thought it best to hire a professional snagger. Think it was definitely worth the money, although a few of the other buyers on the same street did it themselves.

Was very impressed with Homesnag and would recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Do alot you of you professional snaggers? I did mine myself.

Is that acceptable? Does it not have to be signed off by a "certified" snagger?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ancient1 wrote:
    Is that acceptable? Does it not have to be signed off by a "certified" snagger?
    It is preferable for the snagger to be an independent party with experience in the property or construction industries.

Doing it by yourself risks missing important things that you don't know about or understand.

That's true, but what I actually meant to ask is - can the builder reject your snag list because it was done by yourself and not by a certified snagger?

I don't think the builder would reject it - from my point of view it was my solicitor who recommended getting a professional to do it, even though these particular houses had already been snagged by Fingal Co. Co. already. It's for your own protection.

However, a few people on the estate did the snags themselves and the builders had no problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Ancient1 wrote:
    That's true, but what I actually meant to ask is - can the builder reject your snag list because it was done by yourself and not by a certified snagger?

The builder wont reject a sang list if you do it yourself. Its generally in the builders best interest to encourage people to do their own snag list, on the hope that they will miss things as it saves the builder money.

Cheers
    Fintan
    www.HomeSnag.ie

Its generally in the builders best interest to encourage people to do their own snag list, on the hope that they will miss things as it saves the builder money.

Makes sense. Robbing bastards. :p

Funny you should post in this thread, Fintan. I came across your website a couple of days ago and I'll be getting in contact with you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 penguin00

yes its in your own interested to get someone to do your snag as there is little come back after you have paid all that money! You dont need some one with a qualification but you do need someone with an eye for it and knows what to look out for and where the problem spots are. if any one needs a good contact on the north side of Dublin you can reach keith a structural engineer by sending an email to snaglist@gmail.com
    he did my house for half the price of a full time snagger/surveyor and also my friends house with no hitches, the builder wasnt happy with the size of the list but u have realise the amount of money u are going to pay u want it perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

penguin00 wrote:
    You dont need some one with a qualification but you do need someone with an eye for it and knows what to look out for and where the problem spots are.
    Having some formal qualification, whether a trade or profession is really useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Ancient1 wrote:
    Funny you should post in this thread, Fintan. I came across your website a couple of days ago and I'll be getting in contact with you soon.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nig76

I used [url][/url] and even though i was probably their most difficult customer (sorry guys if your reading this:o ) they looked after me great. It was in Balbriggan as well, just wish maybe someone would build a few decent pubs out there:p .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nig76 wrote:
    I used [url][/url] and even though i was probably their most difficult customer (sorry guys if your reading this:o ) they looked after me great. It was in Balbriggan as well, just wish maybe someone would build a few decent pubs out there:p .

I knew I saw this thread before.

3 posts 2 of which are about your website. I think you can advertise on adverts.ie if you were that pushed!

Extra from [URL="[/URL]

Water tank not properly supported.

If you look closely at the bottom left corner of the support you can see that it is not sitting sufficently on the joist.

The recommended number of joists the tank should be supported by is four. You can see this one is badly supported by three. Should the joist or edge of the support deteriorate as result of a leak, this could cause the whole tank to topple and crash through the ceiling. Apart from that the attic or the tank hasn't been insulated.

Just quickly glancing over this and the fact that I have the home bond book beside me there are many many things wrong with that picture that isnt picked up on the defects.

Thre is no cistern cover.

T&G floring should be under cistern and chipboard shouldnt be used (looks like chipboard).

No Primary bearer/secondary bearer (its either on or the other in the photo).

Spreader beam should be located as bear to node point as possible..

Homebond

It is essential that the weight of the water cistern be spread over t anumber of trusses. Failure to do this will lead to local deflection and cracking of the ceiling below the cistern.

Not exactly what your web site says.

I dont have much expericne of doing snag lists. But I can tell when something is desinged wrong (most of the time). If your site cant pick up on these things its bad for business. I wouldnt use you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

nig76 wrote:
    I used [URL=snipped[/URL] and even though i was probably their most difficult customer (sorry guys if your reading this:o ) they looked after me great. It was in Balbriggan as well, just wish maybe someone would build a few decent pubs out there:p .

You were not a customer. It is your website (The domain is registered to you anyways) Would you care to comment on this?

Advertisement