Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid or Mountain Bike

Options
  • 12-07-2006 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying a new bike, going to spend about €500, I will be using the bike predominantly on tarred roads, not city. However occassionally I might want to use on forestry roads (not tarred). I am very tempted to buy the hybrid but am afraid that they may not be suitable for the untarred roads. I was thinking of a trek 7.1x. Do you think this bike might be suitable or should I go for a mountain bike ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The Kona Dew might be an option?

Anything that will perform well on the roads (read light) but able for trails (wide enough tyres and MTB gears) should suit you fine. As would the Trek I'd say.

Personally I have ridden a Specialized Hardrock, not expensive and performs fairly well on roads and on trails, but it's more of a mountain bike. Might I suggest against front suspension-forks?

In short, either would do depending on the percentage of time you'll spend doing both types of riding. The real difference will be in the gears and tyres you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it is primarily for road use, I'd go for a hybrid. The Trek 7.1 FX is closer to a mountain than a road bike in any case and has pretty wide tyres as standard (700x35c). I would imagine that it would be fine on any sort of forest road you could drive a car on, even some trails depending on condition. I had a Trek 7200FX and a 7300FX (I now have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid which would be completely unsuitable) and found them fine on most unpaved roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

blorg wrote:
    I now have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid which would be completely unsuitable...

Would i be wrong to say that if you fitted the Sirrus with 700x35 tyres that it would be up to the job of light trails? I would have thought tyre profile to be it's main downfall in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

beans wrote:
    Would i be wrong to say that if you fitted the Sirrus with 700x35 tyres that it would be up to the job of light trails? I would have thought tyre profile to be it's main downfall in this regard?
    Maybe, I've never tried it. I have toured on it however (with the standard, I think 700x28 tyres) and the handling was very wobbly with loaded panniers, especially when going downhill - never had this issue with the Trek 7x. I think the wheel rims are substantially thinner and more 'aero' and also have less spokes than the Trek, which helps a bit with the speed and lightness but would not help with the trails. My one is a Sirrus Elite from a good few years back, so I don't know, the basic Sirrus might be more suited. I would be uncomfortable taking my Sirrus on a trail, would not be with a Trek 7x (at least below the 7.5 where I believe it gets more road-bike like). Ask your bike shop, but I doubt anyone would recommend a Sirrus for trails.

I got the Sirrus because I wanted something I could tour on (and you can, especially with a stronger back wheel, which I got, although it's still not ideal for touring and I wouldn't buy it specifically for that purpose) but also something that was light and fast as 99% of the time I'm not going to be touring. I had a Trek 1000 road bike before which I loved but the position was doing in my back.

galway008 - maybe post a picture of what you mean by an untarred forestry road, might give a better idea; also what are you using the bike for (commuting, or leisure, etc.) and what sort of distances do you imagine you will be covering?

Advertisement