Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is rental property worth based on income?

Options
  • 12-07-2006 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

If you were getting a rental income of 31K a year what would be the recommended maximum price for a mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you were getting a rental income of 31K a year what would be the recommended maximum price for a mortgage?
    what kind of house would fetch €2500/month in rent, then get a guide price for it from an estate agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what kind of house would fetch €2500/month in rent, then get a guide price for it from an estate agent
    Who said a house?
    I really just want the sensible formula for poperty investemnt. I can't remember the general recommended rental return versus mortgage. I know you should aim for 10-20% profit on redevelopments. A friend was to reverse estimate the value of their property not use market prices.

Well, if I thought I could get rid of the principal of the mortgage through rent in about 20 years I would look at a place.

In commercial property would think that any place where you get back 5% of the cost through rent should be looked at - know of a case lately where a fellow really wanted a place and spent 5m for 100k pa rent or a return of only 1%, but that was an instance where he wanted the property more than applying strict business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Well, if I thought I could get rid of the principal of the mortgage through rent in about 20 years I would look at a place.

So about €400k? (20 year term, 4.5%, interest plus capital)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bluehair wrote:
    So about €400k? (20 year term, 4.5%, interest plus capital)

Seems about right, money would be better invested elsewhere though 4.5% is half what the long term stockmarket average though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Longfield wrote:
    Seems about right, money would be better invested elsewhere though 4.5% is half what the long term stockmarket average though.
    Is there not a major difference in the fact that after 20 years there is no mortgage so the rent is profit minus minimal expenses. With other investmentents it is just return on your money where as a property is return on some body elses money and after the loan is paid out the profit increases dramatically?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

after the loan is paid out the profit increases dramatically?
    Yes, but as your mortgage deminishes, so too does the interest you are paying on it- which would initially make up a very large deductable expense. I.e. the further you go along the greater the portion of the income which becomes taxable.

smccarrick wrote:
    Yes, but as your mortgage deminishes, so too does the interest you are paying on it- which would initially make up a very large deductable expense. I.e. the further you go along the greater the portion of the income which becomes taxable.
    Yes but eventually you own the property so the majority of rent will be profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If it's commercial property it's usually a mortgage at a LTV of 70 per cent. The yield ie rent is around 5 per cent so the investment is worth around e620,000 and mortgage should be around e424,000. if you've got a long lease term with a good covenant you'll be able to borrow more than that and you can always regear in a few years to release the equity if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

know of a case lately where a fellow really wanted a place and spent 5m for 100k pa rent or a return of only 1%, but that was an instance where he wanted the property more than applying strict business sense.

must have been graftone street? either that or a significant upwards rental review coming up or other development potential?

i think commerical property goes for about 4% yield these days. yields are under pressuret tho as prices continue to rocket.at 31k in rent the property is probably worth 650-750k, unless theres rental review coming up, it has development potential or its a trophy property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

lomb wrote:

i think commerical property goes for about 4% yield these days.
    That's for prime office and retail properties in Dublin, industrial is more, hence I went with 5 per cent

lomb wrote:
    must have been graftone street?

No, town in Kerry.

jdivision wrote:
    That's for prime office and retail properties in Dublin, industrial is more, hence I went with 5 per cent

u are correct, industrial is much higher risk, potentially poorer covenants, much higher risk of higher supply with unlimited industrial zoned land, and lower demand thru industrialisation in china etc. higher risk of company failure also.
    retail is better value imho. offices are WAY too dear at the moment.

No, town in Kerry.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Value = (Rack Rent ) / (Rental Yield)
    Where rental yield = Risk free nominal yield + Property risk premium

i.e. Value = (31000) / (0.05) = 620,000 if you're looking for a yield of 5% pa

Or you could use a discounted cashflow approach...

Actuaries are just so useful!! ;)

Advertisement