Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister answers Dail Question on GBS

Options
  • 12-07-2006 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Following is Parliamentary Question raised by Willie Penrose. 27/06/06

"To ask the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources when announcements regarding the third round of the group broadband scheme will be made; if his attention has been drawn to the importance of this scheme to smaller communities and in particular in the context of employment generation possibilities; and if he will make a statement on the matter."

And the reply;

Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources (Mr N Dempsey)

"The provision of telecommunications services, including broadband, is a matter in the first instance for the private sector companies operating in a fully liberalised market, regulated by the Independent Commission for Communications Regulation (COMREG).

My department administers a group broadband scheme which is designed to promote the rollout of broadband access through the establishment of sustainable broadband services in towns, villages, rural hinterlands and under-served areas of larger towns on the basis of local and regional authority coordination and community driven initiatives.

The most recent call for proposals has now closed and I expect to launch further schemes of this nature shortly."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

clohamon wrote:
    Following is Parliamentary Question raised by Willie Penrose. 27/06/06

"To ask the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources when announcements regarding the third round of the group broadband scheme will be made; if his attention has been drawn to the importance of this scheme to smaller communities and in particular in the context of employment generation possibilities; and if he will make a statement on the matter."

And the reply;

Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources (Mr N Dempsey)

"The provision of telecommunications services, including broadband, is a matter in the first instance for the private sector companies operating in a fully liberalised market, regulated by the Independent Commission for Communications Regulation (COMREG).

My department administers a group broadband scheme which is designed to promote the rollout of broadband access through the establishment of sustainable broadband services in towns, villages, rural hinterlands and under-served areas of larger towns on the basis of local and regional authority coordination and community driven initiatives.

The most recent call for proposals has now closed and I expect to launch further schemes of this nature shortly."

We have all been waiting for the next round of schemes to be announced since early last year!!! Around March last year i was at a meeting to get prepared for round 3 of funding which was expected to happened LAST september but we are still waiting!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be hilarious. He could just as effectively have answered the question by not showing up.

Advertisement