Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placenames as Gaeilge

• 12-07-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

I see that Gearth has placenames for each country in their native language. This includes Ireland. Populated places are in Irish, eg, Corcaigh, Luimneach, etc.

Do you think these should be changed to English or is Google doing the right thing in keeping them in our first official language?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

lol this is a debate shouldnt really be in this forum but who cares...
    anyway i suppose i would rather it in english because its the language we all speak but im good either way

but irish should be taken out of secrondary schools complete and utter waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

1huge1 wrote:
    lol this is a debate shouldnt really be in this forum but who cares...
    anyway i suppose i would rather it in english because its the language we all speak but im good either way

but irish should be taken out of secrondary schools complete and utter waste of time

yah, teachers standards of teching is a waste of time too....
    By leaving it compulsary: More will know Irish but wil hate it from school
    By removing the restriction: Less will know Irish, more will love it, those who chose to learn it, will love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya by giving students a choice we can get rid of the ones who don't want to do it and be left with the ones who actually like the language and have a interest in it like how its done in the north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i was fortunate enough to not do irish in school.. i now know more irish than a few friends that did it in the leavin cert.. ironic really.. the teacher how said i wont get far without irish in the leavin had a conversation with me and he couldnt understand how i knew it so well especially when i didnt have a tap of irish through school :D:D
    in conclusion.. when its not forced upon you, you'll leaarn it better ;)

Advertisement