Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of Time: Opinions

Options
  • 12-07-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Just want to know what other readers think of the female characters in "The wheel of time" series?

Are you supposed to not like them? Even the good ones? Every last 1 of them irritate the hell out of me and reading their chapters is only enjoyable when they're being kidnapped etc.

Ok that's probably a bit extreme. But I'm interested in finding out what other readers think. Especially female readers. Any insights into why this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

it started of quite well (first 6 books or so), but even then some books were slower than others. i can't honestly remember at what point i gave up on the series (10ish i guess) but its noted for one thing, NEVER before have i given up no matter how bad it was so it really did bore the crap outta me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Loved the first 4. The next couple dragged a bit for me. Gave up at 9.

Might finish it when he's done writing it. Might.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

exactly nesf, exactly.. and yes, all of Rj's female characters are clones of each other and just awful... awful characters.
    *tugs his braid*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MEN! -- Typical thought process of a RJ woman. They're awfully written and pretty indistinguishable from each other. They have very little in the way of character development either and if that bitch tugs her braid one more TIME I'LL GO MAD :mad:

.. You should actually check out the reviews for Book 10 on Amazon.com. They're hilarious and many of them rip into his awful female characters. Far more enjoyable than that book ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im about 40 pages from the end of Book3 only and Im bored already, about half of that book, possably more is all based on girl charecters and they just irritate me, its a real shame that if you skip them (ive skipped a few chapters based on the women) you end up being greatly confused as to what happens when they do meet up again, I cant bring myself to finish the book and its been sitting there for about 2months now with them last 40 pages to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I enjoy the books.. though yes.. the female characters... If i had a braid i would tug it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

There female, are they not meant to iritate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I know some books (book 10 im thinkin of you!!) are boring. But I still love this series!
    Yeah the women can get annoying at time, but its how he's written em so either get used to it or just give up on the books, cos it doesnt change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cos it doesnt change.

mmm, characters that never grow or change. RJ's onto a winner here, we never have to bother learning new character traits or opinions. Nynaeve will always be a sarky whore, elayne is a rich talentless moron and egwene...
    gods I hate egwene so much.

min kicks ass though, as did Moraine (moirane ?) and uh.. cadsuane. I hope she does end up kicking youknowwho in the youknowwhat and getting him to change his Ithinkweallknowwhati'mtalkingabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Mordeth wrote:
    min kicks ass though, as did Moraine (moirane ?) and uh.. cadsuane. I hope she does end up kicking youknowwho in the youknowwhat and getting him to change his Ithinkweallknowwhati'mtalkingabout.
    lol, discreet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Well guys. Apparenlty Jordan is ill and does not have too much time to live. If you dont believe me go to Wikipeida.com and good the wheel of Time. Its there somewhere. What would you think if he was unable to finish the series due to Illness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

NADA wrote:
    What would you think if he was unable to finish the series due to Illness?

I think it would serve him right for not being able to finish a series in 10 books or less.

Plus we'd get to lol at the remaining fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Mordeth wrote:
    mmm, characters that never grow or change. RJ's onto a winner here, we never have to bother learning new character traits or opinions. Nynaeve will always be a sarky whore, elayne is a rich talentless moron and egwene...
    gods I hate egwene so much.

Yep, Min, Moiraine and Cadsuane are good characters alright, Nynaeve may be sarky but not whorish.

I didn't think the idea of 3 women happily sharing the one man was very realistic, but then, wasn't one of our own home grown criminals living the same way!

I don't agree the female characters are clones of each other as there are quite a few different character types, from empty headed rich girls to homely types, to warrior type women and so on. He has more of a handle on the female psyche than most male authors, even though they could all do with improvement.

I love the WoT series, its just a shame its slowed down so much in the last few books. I agree there is too much detail of inconsequential things such as clothes etc, I would have preferred more plot movement.

Its all subjective, some people complain there are no subplots, others that there are too many to keep track of!

A Feast for Crows was as big a disappointment as the later Jordan books, but doesn't seem to have come in for the same amount of vitriolic spewing of anger for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lanfear wrote:
    A Feast for Crows was as big a disappointment as the later Jordan books, but doesn't seem to have come in for the same amount of vitriolic spewing of anger for some reason?

I wouldn't go that far, but it was a let down. The reason it got off is because WoT has had four disappointments or five, each getting progressively worse. While A Feast for Crows was a slow down, WoT has just stagnated and is going nowhere, with the end of the series still nowhere in sight.

If the next part of A Song of Fire and Ice goes down the same path, I'd expect it to come in for the kind of criticism WoT is getting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If the next part of A Song of Fire and Ice goes down the same path, I'd expect it to come in for the kind of criticism WoT is getting now.

Agreed. Hopefully SoIaF will be complete in 7 books max. (The current 4 and 3 new ones (part 4.2 part 5.1 part 5.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Agreed. Hopefully SoIaF will be complete in 7 books max. (The current 4 and 3 new ones (part 4.2 part 5.1 part 5.2)
    I didn't like the way he split the book into 2 sections by characters rather than time, I know he gives his reasons for doing so still think it was a major disappointment. If I hadn't enjoyed the first 3 so much it wouldn't have been so bad :( If he is splitting the next book (after we get the next half of book 4), I will wait until the 2nd part comes out and read both together. ;)

Advertisement