Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice, criticism of site im attempting to create

Options
  • 12-07-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dupreezdecor.com/

Hi im making this for a friend/client of mine and i was wondering how
    u think the graphics and text are. The friend/client is quite inexperienced
    on the web so i need some general advice on what other web-used
    people think.

Many thanks;)

And disregard the text its just the page, logo,images etc i need comments on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The logo / header is really offputting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The logo background image is simply woeful. The smaller button text is difficult to read - on both image button types. Use a clearer font. While the logo font might be adequete for the logo (and no more than that), it doesn't work as a button at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

looks pretty nice - I'd drop one of the font types though. Looks like you've got 4 different types on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The menu images are a bit too compressed for my liking and the image behind the text of the logo interferes with the logo text (nice font btw) too much also.

Other than that I think it's a nice clean site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The logo/header makes me feel like I need to reinstall my graphics card drivers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

axer wrote:
    The logo/header makes me feel like I need to reinstall my graphics card drivers! :D
    Yeah me too! I think that's the main problem, other than that it looks decent enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ive updated the buttons on the right. Any better.

I will change the logo tonite to a more defined logo.

Im thinking of sticking with the buttons though.

Thanks for your advice!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you're going to keep the top menu images then fair enough but at least make them as uncompressed as the first image - the Home image.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aside from the logo, which everyone has already given out about, I'm not mad about the menu buttons. IMO, you should try and keep everything to a set style.

The buttons on the right all look slightly the same, but the font is a different size in certain places, and compressed in others. You need to keep the fonts identical (although changing the colour is OK to make it stand out) - same size, same family, same weight - for all elements of a certain type. In this case, the fonts on the buttons on the right don't match up, and the fonts on the top menu don't match up. To me, this gives a sloppy and hard to read appearance.

There's also something "We don't quite belong here" about the buttons on the right, but it could be the mismatched fonts which are throwing me off.

Other than that the idea is nice and clean and well laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Agree with what people have said about the buttons. You seem to be using that 'cool' gungy font that everyone thinks is class the first time they see it and subsequently throw it in places where it shouldn't go. Like your sites navigation. It doesn't fit in with the sleek design of the buttons themselves.

Also, the buttons on the right don't look like they're part of the site. Looks like four small advertisements for something and it took me a while to even notice them at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The contrast between the gray main text and the white background isn't enough, the text needs to be darker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

This site just doesn't work for me. There are too may contrasting design types happening -

The weirdo logo
    The child style navigation buttons
    The harsh "-> Welcome" font
    The "professional" buttons on the right
    The large blue background

I just don't get how all these bits fit together.

I know creating a website is fun, and I know you are probably feeling very proud of getting something online, but really, I think you need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

There are too many confused ideas mixed together on the page.

Soorry :(

Please comment on my updated version as per your advice;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Definite improvement, though I still don't like the logo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi OP, improved but I still dislike the logo, its too black. Try putting a solid block of colour behind it rather than the stripes. Then play around with the actual logo colour.

The button font is near impossible to see, change to something like arial, verdana.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely better.

Make the font on the buttons bigger. And align the text in "Home" button :)

yea im thinking of changing the font on the buttons again its just
    very plain and blocky. As for the logo i could keep changing it forever
    but im just gona stick with that for now as i have other things to sort
    out on the site. I'll keep ya all posted! Thanks again everyone!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why not centre the buttons and the business name in the middle (horz) of the page. Then use something like you have on the right (the images) and put it as part of the welcome/front page.

The colours behind the business name header/logo are very dull and boring.

Definitely an improvement though.

Advertisement