Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Procrastination

• 12-07-2006 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Procrastination eh? An interesting and complex psychological condition which I think I may suffer from somewhat. I don't feel I am lazy. Once I'm doing something I enjoy or am interested in, then I have no problems. The problem is that life does not solely consist of carrying out tasks you enjoy or are interested in.

Procrastination comes into play at that point and things are left until the last minute - thus adding to stress.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the source of this condition. Is it natural to put off stress/displeasure, or do we think in the short term of reward centres? Is it simply part of the human condition? How do you deal with it, or are there any helpful tricks out there? Any links would also be appreciated.

I was going to write more.. but ahhhh... can't be bothered right now. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I think that successful or accomplished people possess the skills to avoid procrastinating. I think that it is derived from low impulse control and self-discipline. The ability to forego short term pleasures in an attempt to achieve long term goals is a valuable skill indeed.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Valmont wrote:
    I think that successful or accomplished people possess the skills to avoid procrastinating. I think that it is derived from low impulse control and self-discipline. The ability to forego short term pleasures in an attempt to achieve long term goals is a valuable skill indeed.:D

Sure, it is a lack of self-discipline, but I'm interested in the psychological reasoning and causes and a way to deal with it. I do have the ability to forego short term pleasures, I think, and wouldn't consider myself an unsuccessful person. Likewise, I also have impulse control. I'm good with my finances etc.

An example I could give would be foregoing my former playboy lifestyle to buy a house and take on a mortgage etc. knowing that I would not be able to enjoy the life I once had. I thought long-term and reasoned that house prices would only increase so I bought. But with regard to other tasks that don't interest me, I tend to procrastinate and end up stressing at the last minute... It's annoying, and worse because I realise I procrastinate, but always seem to repeat the behaviour pattern. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I tend to link procrastination with avoidance behaviour. We procrastinate about things we don't want to face or which, when faced, cause stress and anxiety. For example, I may procrastinate about starting my studying for exams because to begin studying shows me how little I've done and causes high levels of stress ... this stress can be avoided or at least substituted for the lower (though longer term) levels of stress associated with procrastination. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Myksyk wrote:
    I tend to link procrastination with avoidance behaviour. We procrastinate about things we don't want to face or which, when faced, cause stress and anxiety. For example, I may procrastinate about starting my studying for exams because to begin studying shows me how little I've done and causes high levels of stress ... this stress can be avoided or at least substituted for the lower (though longer term) levels of stress associated with procrastination. Just a thought.

Interesting. I shall have a look into avoidance behaviour and see how that fits. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I am incredibly guilty of procrastination. I want to stop but I can't. This avoidance thing is ringing a bell with me. What kind of therapy works best with avoidance / procrastination?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Set a task or goal to get done each day and distract yourself while you are doing it, with music or what ever will keep you occupied while you get it done.

Advertisement