Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Service Fund

Options
  • 12-07-2006 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I don't recall this having been debated here before but the Americans have a thing called the Universal Service Fund: http://www.usac.org/default.aspx.

I assume this comes from there not being a formerly state-owned telco with a USO so everybody chips in a bit of money to USAC and they then sponsor various non-profitable services.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. eircom uses the USO for various excuses, like an extremely expensive line rent, and I'm sure it's everything but transparent. And why should only eircom or its customers pay for this? The alternative would be an organisation (ideally not made up of the usual politically appointed muppets) that's funded by all telephone and data comms customers and this organisation then spends the money to provide telephony and broadband to areas who would otherwise not get it. Any company can bid for the work. If it's more cost effective to use wireless to deliver telephony and broadband to an area, then such a provider gets the business etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The US USF was abused. AFASIK the Telcos just pocket the money. I could be wrong.

Advertisement