Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats with other pets?

• 12-07-2006 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a kitten soon, I've wanted one for a long time but my house mate is allergic, now that she's moved out I can finally get one.

I already have quiet a lot of animals in the house and I don't want to put them or the kitten in danger. One thing that worries me is the turtle tanks, (2 large tanks) there is no lid on one them, any ideas how to keep the kitten away from them? Or is the only way to make some sort of a cover?

The reptile tanks dont bother be so much as they're locked and the kitty couldn't get at them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Why don't you just make a simple timber framed lid with wire netting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Make a timber frame lid with aviary wire across it use heavy timber so that it can't be knocked. If you have small rodents or birds in the house their cages would need to be well cat proofed and kept in another room and cat only let in under supervision. I love cats but I can never fully trust them with smallies.
    Btw if you are looking for a kitten or two try kitten adoption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

The other furries have thier hutches in the back garden, the rabbits in big hutches/run and the piggies have a shed and are allowed out only when supervised.

If I get a kitten I'm definately going to adopt from a rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good thing you have other animals first.. if the kitten grows up with rabbits etc she will be fine.. if you had a cat though and brought in a rabbit.. Cat would see it as food :D Even though a rabbit will injure a cat if cornered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Saruman is right. If Cats grow up with rabbits they will get on fine. However smaller animals are a problem, as Cats will always see them, I think not so much as food more as something to play with, unfortunately cats games are deadly with those sharp claws and teeth. Our Cats are always trying to get the Hamsters.

The rabbit was a different thing as he was the same size as the cats and the treated him with respect. He on the other hand thought the cats were other rabbits and tried to mate with them which the cats did not like in the least. But it was sure funny to watch a rabbit chasing a cat around the garden.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement