Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are ya??

• 12-07-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Let's all have a good 'ol poll!
    No particular reason, just for the sake of it!

Pick the one that best suits you. Lots of options so you should fit in somewhere. If you don't then you're a freak! :p

What kind of diet do you have? 84 votes

Eat all kinds of meat all the time!
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes (or a lot of the time) eat veggie food
    27% 23 votes
    Pescetarian (Only fish)
    13% 11 votes
    Vegetarian
    5% 5 votes
    Lacto vegetarian or Ovo vegetarian
    23% 20 votes
    "Semi-Vegan" (Eat as much vegan food as you can)
    17% 15 votes
    Vegan
    4% 4 votes
    Raw foodist
    4% 4 votes
    Fruitarian
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Glad to see the raw foodist in there but I prefer Raw Vegan because there are a lot of raw foodists that are not vegan and use honey and there are even a few (Carol Alt for instance) who eat raw meat and fish.
    I am a Raw Vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Well I guess what I mean by raw foodist is raw fruit and veg (and nuts and so on). I guess I don't really know all that much about it, I didn't realise people ate raw meat too!

I made the list such that the diets have less animal foods in them further down the list

Nature Boy wrote:
    I guess I don't really know all that much about it, I
    Well when you feel that you are ready to know more then just ask me. I will be happy to help anyone who wants to take this jouney.

I don't think i'd be doing it (maybe i'd try it for a few days or something). How long have you been doing it? Do you like it? What would be a typical meal?

I am celebrating my first aniversarry of 100% raw just about this week.
    I had half a honeydue melon when I got up (about half past nine ) and I have prepared a green smoothie to have in about 30 mins after I work out.
    There is no such thing as a typical meal for a raw foodist as the diet can be even more varied than normal peoples.
    One meal would be. Prepare lots of cliced ray vegies this evening and coat in olive oil and sea sale and let steep overnight (an hour will do) place in the dehydrator for a few hours to soften. I like it with chilli sauce and onion dip on the side.
    The onion dip is made of cashew nuts and water blended and then add chopped onion.
    If you do not want to go raw then I would recomend that you add a green smoothie to your daily diet. I will try to find a link to some info and post it.
    http://www.rawfamily.com/articles/odetogreen.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Back on topic thanks. Mentalmiss, I've warned you once before about proselytizing. This is not a forum for recruiting people to your personal beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I'm a lacto ovo vegetarian but I don't really like eggs. I don't mind them when they're in food and I can't see them but I don't like eating them boiled.

Shabadu wrote:
    Back on topic thanks. Mentalmiss, I've warned you once before about proselytizing. This is not a forum for recruiting people to your personal beliefs.

I expressed an interest in her diet, asked a few questions about it and she answered them. I don't see a problem with that

Shabadu wrote:
    I have no intention of recruiting anyone. I will derive no benefit from such an effort.
    I answered the poll honestly and merely pointed out that my correct classification was not there and why.
    I was then asked a question and I answered it honestly.
    I have answered other questions here from the standpoint of someone who has been vegetarian for over 30 years and vegan for 5 years so why can I not answer from the standpoint of someone who has been raw for a year.
    What are you afraid of. A little awareness of the existence of another way of doing things never hurt anyone.
    Someone had to bring vegetarianism and veganism to our attention before we went down that road.
    I do not care if anyone on this board goes raw but I do care that you do not want them to know that such a way is there for them.

Oobie wrote:
    I'm a lacto ovo vegetarian but I don't really like eggs. I don't mind them when they're in food and I can't see them but I don't like eating them boiled.

By the way by Vegetarian in the poll I mean Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Nature Boy wrote:
    By the way by Vegetarian in the poll I mean Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian

Whoops! Voted for the wrong one then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Erawtica

I am also raw vegan and find it to be the most wonder-filled way to eat. Began as a vegetarian of 15 years and slowly evolved.

Erawtica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Currently pescatarian (at least most of the time) but I was strictly veggie for 5 years before.

Kolodny wrote:
    Currently pescatarian (at least most of the time) but I was strictly veggie for 5 years before.

May I ask why you gave up being veggie? I don't mean to go off topic too much, just interested to know why people give it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I eat meat but i eat it very rare.

Probaly even rarer than this
    rare.jpg

So i'm probably a Raw Carnovore. but i quite like raw veg so maybe i'm a raw omnivore.

i'm feeling a little confused...am i a raw foodist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I'm an omnivore, but very often eat vegetarian.
    If I eat meat it tends to be quality and less of it.

This is turning out to be an interesting poll. So far, 62.5% of the people that visit the vegetarian forum aren't actually vegetarian!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oobie wrote:
    Whoops! Voted for the wrong one then!
    Ya, me too. Damn. Although, I'm a bit more towards vegan than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I voted for semi-vegan, which doesn't make sense to me, because you either are vegan or not. But I'm vegan in my personal cooking, but whenever I eat out or get lunch at work the option is rarely there. I should stop being so lazy and make my own lunch at home and bring it in!

It's the same for me. 'Semi-Vegan' obviously isn't a proper term (hence the inverted commas). What I mean by it is you eat vegan food fairly regularily or you're on the way to becoming vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Erawtica

I think you're proselytizing. :D

E.
    RuggieBear wrote:
    I eat meat but i eat it very rare.

Probaly even rarer than this
    rare.jpg

So i'm probably a Raw Carnovore. but i quite like raw veg so maybe i'm a raw omnivore.

i'm feeling a little confused...am i a raw foodist?

The results of this poll have been very surprising to me. Why do so many non-vegetarians visit the vegetarian forum?

Nature Boy wrote:
    The results of this poll have been very surprising to me. Why do so many non-vegetarians visit the vegetarian forum?

Personally, I eat vegetarian quite a lot and I cook a lot, so this forum is just a natural one for me to look in on.

Omnivores eat veggies too, unlike vegetarians in their different guises who dont stray to the dark side at all, so it only doesn't work the other way around really.

(If you come to the other forum now and again I wont tell anyone though sssshhh!!) :p

Oh I know what you mean (Although I don't know of any onmivores who don't eat any less than at least 2 meals a day with meat in them).

I mean I was jsut expecting a small amount of people to be non veggies, but it has turned out that the majority are meat eaters.

Is there any situation where veggies are not a minority?? They're even a minority in vegetarian forums!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Don't really have diet....I picked fruitarian because I do eat alot, not because its a diet or anything, I just like it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Do you know what fruitarian means?

I only put that in for the sake of it. Didn't think anyone would actually pick it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Nature Boy wrote:
    Oh I know what you mean (Although I don't know of any onmivores who don't eat any less than at least 2 meals a day with meat in them).
    I know quite a few omnivores who'd eat flesh several times
    a week or month, but not on a regular basis.
    Most of those prefer to cook vegetarian.

I've been vegetarian for over 35 years, and have known many
    people who've been more or less committed to it along the way.
    In the 70's you wouldn't even find the word "vegetarian" in a
    dictionary printed in Ireland, let alone in a menu.

I've known two people whose eyesight suffered as a result of
    a vegetarian diet - perhaps they needed to pay more attention
    to combining foods in their diet. They were recommended by
    their doctors to return to eating fish at least, and recovered
    without any lasting harm.

NiallB

Maybe some meat eaters don't eat meat regularily (I still have to say I've never met one!) but that doesn't explain why the majority of people visiting a veggie forum would still eat meat. If a meat eater wants to try a vegetarian meal they'd go to a recipie website not a forum that discusses vegetarian issues such as animal rights and animal by-products in food and the like, why would they care about anything like that? I'm genuinely curious. But I have been rattling on about it so I guess I should shut up!!

• Advertisement

I see merits in all points of view, but I think it is only fair to doff ones cap to evolution and accept that meat eating is an efficient usage of energy, but loses that once it becomes a mass industry that focusses on profit. I spent a lot of time on farms as a kid, I like to know meat has had a past that is beyond a space in a box for a few months. At the end of the day I think I can partake of the vegetarian forums plus points, which are many, and we can avoid the whys and wherefores mostly which lead to points of view diverging.
    I wont wave my meat eating in your face however unless I'm asked, and I definitely wouldn't be so crude as to illustrate it with a picture. ;)

Advertisement