Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane talks today

• 12-07-2006 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭

Zinedine Zidane will speak publicly for the first time after his controversial red card in the World Cup final, which France lost to Italy on penalties.

The 34-year-old will appear on French television at 1840 BST on Wednesday.

Fifa is to investigate Zidane's sending off for a headbutt on Marco Materazzi, which happened seconds after the Italian apparently insulted him.

Materazzi has denied reports that he called France skipper Zidane a "terrorist" or insulted his mother.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm

the moment of truth is almost at hand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Do you reckon they will let us no what happened on RTE's 9 O Clock News?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Watching it at the moment...nothing new yet.

Zidane confirms that the 'I'll give you the jersy after the match' comment but doesn't speak about what was said to him though does says that Materazzi repeated the phrase 3 times to him. The comment was directed against his family. Asked if it was his wife and/or sister he remained silent.
    He askes for people to forgive him, the childern and everyone that was asking it (no mention of the players nor the French especially), but doesn't regret his actions because if he did then it would justify whatever it was that Materazzi said. When asked if he would do it again if he could go back in time he remained silent.

He said that he'll work with FIFA and answer whatever questions they ask and understands that he may lose his FIFA award.

He spoke very strongly (for ZZ at least) about abuse on the pitch and said that for every action there is a reaction and that if he was punished for a reaction, which he 100% agrees with, then people should be asking what it was that caused him to do what he did.

He said that abuse was common place in football and defenders mostly are always trying to get you upset, annoyed but what Materazzi said was inexcusable the same way that ZZ's reaction was just as inexcusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Probaly against his wife. Haha, Matterazzi - what a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Looks like it was about his mother and sister.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Ponster wrote:
    Watching it at the moment...nothing new yet.

Zidane confirms that the 'I'll give you the jersy after the match' comment but doesn't speak about what was said to him though does says that Materazzi repeated the phrase 3 times to him. The comment was directed against his family. Asked if it was his wife and/or sister he remained silent.
    He askes for people to forgive him, the childern and everyone that was asking it (no mention of the players nor the French especially), but doesn't regret his actions because if he did then it would justify whatever it was that Materazzi said. When asked if he would do it again if he could go back in time he remained silent.

Keep us updated please. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

dohboy wrote:
    what a classic quote from materrazzi.

But Materazzi added: "I am ignorant, I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is; my only terrorist is her," he said pointing to his 10-month-old daughter.

this man must think were all stupid with such a mind boggling statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

"ill give you the jersey after the match" i love it :D

whassupp2 wrote:
    Keep us updated please. Cheers

That's about it. He seemed pretty humble but always does when he does interviews (almost never). Sorry if I forgot stuff but it's never easy translating and listening at the same time. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd find it very hard to believe that Materazzi said something racist given that he plays with black muslim players week in week out.

I'd be more inclined to bleieve that he somehting like "I'd rather have your wifes shirt" tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just read the story from here.
    'He just put his hand onto my shirt and I told him to stop. I told him that if he wanted it I could give it to him at the end of the match.

'Then he said very harsh words to me and repeated them several times. I left but then I went back towards him and things went very fast.

'The words I said concerned my mother and sister.

'I heard them once, then twice, and the third time I couldn't control myself. I am a man and some words are harder to hear than actions.

'I would have rather been knocked down than hear that.

'Afterwards I explained to the referee that I had been provoked, but my behaviour is not forgivable,' Zidane said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

it is a shame he didnt catch the cannoli drinking ponse in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Good to see that Zidane has admitted that what he did was inexcusable. Thats exactly what it was. He deserved the red card and Blatter now seems determined to take away the Golden Ball award which was voted on pre-match. Most likely it will be given to Cannavaro.

Yes, he was provoked but this happens week-in week-out, from as young an age as u-12's and all over the world. Its not limited to football either. If primary school children can respond with the rhyme "sticks and stones may break my bones .... " etc, then a 34 year old man should have been able to respond appropriately, and that was to try and score a goal.

He snapped. He knows it. He did wrong. His character is flawed, not by a lot, but it is as this was not a once-off in his career. As it was his last moment in football, he will be forever remembered for it. Thats a shame but its likely to happen.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    If primary school children can respond with the rhyme "sticks and stones may break my bones .... " etc

Jesus. What kind of a school did you go to? I can remember more fights then people going around turning the other cheek all the time.
    redspider wrote:
    His character is flawed, not by a lot, but it is as this was not a once-off in his career.

And is loved for it in France as it shows that's he's just like the rest of us, human.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why do the FIFA idiots give the golden ball before the final anyway? It's nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm really intrigued by the French they apparently don't care about what Zidane did.They only love him all the more and they of course blame Materazzi for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Why do the FIFA idiots give the golden ball before the final anyway? It's nonsense.

They didn't the journalists were the ones voting for the player and they casted their votes before the final.

Advertisement