Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Installed car stereo but lose settings..

Options
  • 12-07-2006 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got a new car (02 Golf) and replaced the stereo with the one i had in the old car as it has an aux conn. After eventually getting it in and being delighted that I did I found that after I take the keys out I lose all the settings, radio stations, audio controls etc basically it resets every time. I read the stereo manual and it says that after you remove the stereo you have to press the reset button but that didn`t work either. After talking to someone they mentioned that I may need to hook it up to the lights or something?
    The stereo is installed very easily as it has just the usual ISO conns. If anyone has any idea it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

it would appear that the head unit needs a 12v constant supply, and that it currently only has a supply when the ignition is switched on. You need to locate a lead that is independant of the ignition, if one cant be found you might have to take a line direct from the +ve battery terminal.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The usual cure is... swap the yellow wire for the red wire on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd imagine it's as mloc posted, the switch live and permanent live are probably mixed up. Some of the later Mk IV golfs had the wiring loom that they put in the MK V but this has only a permanent live and no switch live so this wouldn't be the problem. I wouldn't take a line direct from the battery as mentioned above. If you need to get a switch or permanent live there is a distribution bar under the steering cloumn that you can take one from.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Never found Goodmans stuff to be brilliant quality, certainly not good as VW's OE stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Would an '02 Golf be cambus, or too early? If it is cambus, get the install done professionally (a few Passat taxis have gone up in smoke due to VAGs new wiring setup, IIRC. Open to correction on this, but I'm fairly confident).

Is VWs OE stereo equipment Blaupunkt? Good gear; pity about some of the "smiley face" fronts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would've gone with something like this:

cdchangervw3uy.jpg

not very constructive i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought VW used Blaupunkt radios?

To the OP it sounds like the memory wire is either disconnected or wired incorrectly as others have stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Thanks for the tips. A bit worrying that the wiring could cause the car to blow! Anyway I`m not sure what cambus is? Its just a basic Mark IV which had a blaupunkt originally. I`ll try switching the wires red and yellow later. If all fails I`ll get someone to have a look. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

colm_mcm wrote:
    would've gone with something like this:

cdchangervw3uy.jpg

not very constructive i know.

Thats the exact setup I have in the golf, OP the loom has a permanent live as have all VWs since about 1998 - you can switch the radio on even with no key. The wiring is often different than after market head units. It's going to need switching of the wires. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself get a pro to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    I thought VW used Blaupunkt radios?

To the OP it sounds like the memory wire is either disconnected or wired incorrectly as others have stated.

Audi did until the new A4 in 2001, I don't know who makes the branded radios.

I thought the Blaupunkt radios were horrifc to use, the old "non smiley face" ones were great, but the newer ones were awful imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement