Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exchanging my UK license for an Irish License

Options
  • 12-07-2006 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

With Points on it (3) will it affect my insurance premium?

I'm just about to get the points and will be moving over in a couple months.

I might have a chance of going to a speed workshop instead of getting the points, just want to see if there will be any benefit.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

At present, there is no mechanism in place for transferring points in either direction (UK->IRL and vice versa). They may, however, leave the points "on hold" for you (as they told me in a letter) until such a mechanism is in place. If that happens, the points will be valid from then on.

You are under no legal obligation to exchange your UK license for an Irish one whilst it is still in date.

My advice to you then, is hold onto your UK license and either do the speed workshop thing or wait for the points to natually expire in the UK. You will have to notify your insurers about it but you shouldn't see much increase. For example, my premium is 80 quid higher due to my UK license.

Advertisement