Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless broadband help

• 12-07-2006 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hey there, havin problems settin my laptop up to the wirerless broadband router. the router i have is a netopia 2247. the laptop is gettin the connection but every time i try going online it says "page cannot be displayed"

any ideas?

please keep instructions as simple as possible as i don't have a clue bout these things!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

Click on start on click the run command

Type in "ipconfig" and it should bring up your default gateway

Open IE and type this into your IE address and press enter

Check the wirless connection option in the menu bar on the left

Make sure you have the wirelss option Enabled.

Also check the WO in the taskbar beside the clock

Can you ping any websites? open up the Run command and type the following

ping www.bbc.co.uk and press return and post results up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Are you sure it's '2247' and not '3347'?

Is this you're first time connecting? i.e. did you just receive the modem in the post?

Do any error bubbles pop up on your desktop?

Hover the mouse over the icon for wireless connections in the system tray(bottom right of the screen where the clock is). What does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 likeacod

when i type in "ipconfig" a black box pops up for a second and then goes again

its 2247.i have the desktop up and running using the cable! but cant get the laptop, in the corner by the clock it says "wireless connection connected"

Did you input the network key at any point?

If you right click on the wireless icon and click 'View Wireless Connections' you should find some more info.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've inputted the security key. The Wireless card icon says it's connected as does the connection icon which says the signal is excellent!!

Are you using IE or Firefox?

Ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

likeacod wrote:
    when i type in "ipconfig" a black box pops up for a second and then goes again

What he meant to say was Start->Run and type in cmd and press return.

Then type in ipconfig and follow the rest of the steps.

Roy16 wrote:
    Click on start on click the run command

Type in "ipconfig" and it should bring up your default gateway

the space for default gateway is blank!!

• Advertisement

Right, that is part of the problem.

In the black box, type ipconfig /renew and press return. This will tell the network device to re-get it's configuration.

If that doesn't work, try the following:

Start->Settings->Network Connections and open your wireless connection (double click). Click properties.

You should see Client for Microsoft Networks and a couple more. Scroll down to internet control (TCP/IP) and click properties. Make sure both settings in the new window are set to "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically".

still isn't workin. is there something im missing in internet options. i clicked never dial a connection, anything else i should be doin?

If you go in to Network Connections(Start->Connect To->Show All Connections) and right click on your wireless connection and click properties there should be an option on one of the tabs that says something like 'Allow windows to manage my wireless networks'.

Try changing that if your wireless card (is it belkin?) has third party software to manage the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sounds like an authentication error.

What IP is your laptop telling you it has? It should be something like

192.168.1.*** (this is based on you using automatically get IP setting in the Start->Settings->Network Connections>WiFI or Wired)

In fact try using a cable to connect the lappie and see what settings you get. Just to confirm its a wireless problem (although the desktop pretty much confirms this)

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

If you go in to Network Connections(Start->Connect To->Show All Connections) and right click on your wireless connection and click properties there should be an option on one of the tabs that says something like 'Allow windows to manage my wireless networks'.

Try changing that if your wireless card (is it belkin?) has third party software to manage the connection.

When you are in on the Connection properties page as fade_to_grey has outlined. Under the General Tab, there is a window in the center, which has a list of items with check boxes on the left. Select the one that says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the properties button. make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server address automatically" are checked

its a netgear card.

dil999 wrote:
    When you are in on the Connection properties page as fade_to_grey has outlined. Under the General Tab, there is a window in the center, which has a list of items with check boxes on the left. Select the one that says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the properties button. make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server address automatically" are checked

yea they are checked

Sounds like an authentication error.

What IP is your laptop telling you it has? It should be something like

192.168.1.*** (this is based on you using automatically get IP setting in the Start->Settings->Network Connections>WiFI or Wired)

In fact try using a cable to connect the lappie and see what settings you get. Just to confirm its a wireless problem (although the desktop pretty much confirms this)

MC

autoconfiguration IP address : 169.254.50.174

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Thats a windows XP assigned private address. It means that you may have a problem with the setup of the DHCP server in your router. you need to go into your router setup and enable the DHCP server. make sure you have allotted at least enough IP address for all the PC and Laptops that you have. If you look up the router manual it should be reasonably straight forward.

Second possibility is a firewall blocking your router. Do you have any firewall software on the laptop. Norton for example. YOu may have to add the routers IP to the "trusted Zone".

• Advertisement

Now we are getting somewhere.

That is not a real IP address (do a search - there was a recent thread on this). Basically, it's a default IP address the wireless card "makes up" when it can't obtain a real IP address.

Did you do what I said - check to see if the TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain the address/dns details?

It sounds like the wireless card cannot connect to the wireless router - double and triple check all your settings. The problem appears to be in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

tom dunne wrote:
    That is not a real IP address (do a search - there was a recent thread on this). Basically, it's a default IP address the wireless card "makes up" when it can't obtain a real IP address.
    It's a real IP address al right, it's just not one that was assigned by the wireless router.

It's unlikely that the DHCP functionality on the router has been turned off (it's on by default), but it would be worth checking). If that's not the problem, then disable the encryption on both the router and the wireless client JUST FOR THE PURPOSES OF TROUBLESHOOTING! This will tell you whether there is some physical problem with one of the transmitters. Once you've verified that you can cnnect without encryption, go through the encryption setup again carefully. WPA-PSK is a better encryption standard, and it also seems to have better interoperability than the older WEP standard.

thanks guys got it sorteed in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

likeacod wrote:
    thanks guys got it sorteed in the end
    And what was the solution, for anyone else that finds themselves in the same situation?

it was one of the settings for the wireless card that was giving the hassle. dunno which one though.

Advertisement