Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English MA

Options
  • 12-07-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I just applied for an MA in the English Dept. last week. I'd like to hear from anyone who's applied before. When did you hear whether or not you'd been accepted? I assumed it would only take a couple of weeks but apparently someone last year was only notified a couple weeks before classes commenced. There doesn't seem to be any info regarding this on the web site so any help would be appreciated.

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I'm doing one now, as is rain on who posts here. Im not sure, maybe she knows, but it was quite close to when we started, maybe late Ocotober, early Sept. I remember it being quite close to when we started though, which was Sept. 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm in the same boat as you, I'd love to just know so I can get on with my life and plan what I'm going to do come September. I rang the office today but nobody answered the phone and I didn't leave a message because I sort-of don't want to know too... the limbo of uncertainty means I can continue living hand to mouth for the moment, real world is still faaaar away.

Scop, pet, October comes after September.

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'd love to just know so I can get on with my life and plan what I'm going to do come September. I rang the office today but nobody answered the phone and I didn't leave a message because I sort-of don't want to know too... the limbo of uncertainty means I can continue living hand to mouth for the moment, real world is still faaaar away.

Scop, pet, October comes after September.

Sorry, muddled head. I mean August. By the way e-mail Helen Gallagher, e-mails on the website, and you might get lucky. Phones and UCD Eng Dept.-:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i got my letter in the middle of july i think. quite early in the summer anyway. i'd been into helen gallagher before that though and she was pretty sure i'd gotten in based on my marks, but i didn't find out for sure till i got the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

Thanks a mil everyone. Hopefully it'll be closer to mid-july than early september though! Haven't the foggiest what i'll do if I don't get it.

Blush_01: which one did you go for? Early Modern for me. Perhaps as it's usually a very small group I'll hear earlier than the more popular ones.

I'll give Helen Gallagher a call. Hopefully she'll know.

• Advertisement

Id say rain on is right, and thats probably when I got my letter. My mind is muddled as my first post suggests. By the way darth, youre not a girl that recently went to Doyles with an interest in Shakespeare by any chance?

Thanks a mil everyone. Hopefully it'll be closer to mid-july than early september though! Haven't the foggiest what i'll do if I don't get it.

Blush_01: which one did you go for? Early Modern for me. Perhaps as it's usually a very small group I'll hear earlier than the more popular ones.

i dunno actually, i just remembered that a friend of mine got accepted into the anglo-irish one last week and that's the biggest group there is, so i'm not sure if size really is a factor. the old english and early modern courses didn't even run this year because nobody wanted to do them! kinda depressing but.

That is depressing, and probably why they have the new courses. But even our classes were quite small when you think about it. This surprises me since you usually hear people saying they want to do an English MA yet teh classes are rarely large.

scop wrote:
    Id say rain on is right, and thats probably when I got my letter. My mind is muddled as my first post suggests. By the way darth, youre not a girl that recently went to Doyles with an interest in Shakespeare by any chance?

I am indeed! Ha. I can guess who this is.

I am indeed! Ha. I can guess who this is.

True this :D All hail Doyles!

• Advertisement

scop wrote:
    That is depressing, and probably why they have the new courses. But even our classes were quite small when you think about it. This surprises me since you usually hear people saying they want to do an English MA yet teh classes are rarely large.
    yeah everyone wants to do them, but they only let in the very best :cool:

rain on wrote:
    the old english and early modern courses didn't even run this year because nobody wanted to do them! kinda depressing but.

oh sh!te. you mean i could be all on my onesome. sort of a terrifying thought.

rain on wrote:
    yeah everyone wants to do them, but they only let in the very best :cool:

True this too :cool:

oh sh!te. you mean i could be all on my onesome. sort of a terrifying thought.

They probably wont run it if its just yourself. :(

Doyles-- yes twas a good night.

odd...a certain ex-1st year asked me to be his producer...10 to 1 i wont hear a thing from him. he was a bit tipsy after all.

Doyles-- yes twas a good night.

odd...a certain ex-1st year asked me to be his producer...10 to 1 i wont hear a thing from him. he was a bit tipsy after all.

Ha, well as you may know I was his lead role! I got axed because he found a real actor :( Fortunately I instigated a strike by a mate who played a homeless man in the movie so at least I got some revenge :D

Doyles was good, but the crowd behind us were making too much noise.

rats. i've no back up plan at all so i'd actually rather do it by myself than not at all.

fingers crossed etc...

good luck to everyone else who's waitin too.

yeh. they were a bit. had to strain to hear what anybody was sayin and i eventually gave up. Had some good chats though. i'd like to hear more about your experience as an ma student and writing the thesis. my greek and roman extended essay was a nightmare.

i'd like to hear more about your experience as an ma student and writing the thesis. my greek and roman extended essay was a nightmare.

I'm probably an example of a bad social student as I didn't make much of an effort to get involved with the classes as such. The classes themselves went from plain dull and school-like to quite interesting. Its a strange experience being in such a small class where its the students who are encouaged to talk.

The thesis was fine; I got a good tutor, and he prodded me along quite well. Its a bit of a learning curve though!

scop wrote:
    I'm probably an example of a bad social student as I didn't make much of an effort to get involved with the classes as such. The classes themselves went from plain dull and school-like to quite interesting. Its a strange experience being in such a small class where its the students who are encouaged to talk.

The thesis was fine; I got a good tutor, and he prodded me along quite well. Its a bit of a learning curve though!
    yeah boo scop, you never came out with us or went to our parties or anything. bold!
    i really enjoyed the whole MA experience.. read some great books, met some deadly people, got a great supervisor.. i'm two-thirds of the way through my thesis now and i'm really enjoying it too. it is a learning curve alright, you have to get used to working on your own, but it's really valuable experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Medieval. I know at least one other person who wants it too, so there'll definitely be two in the class, if they accept me. She'll get in without a problem, damn her. I don't think I'm flavour of the month with some people in the department at the moment.

E-mailed Helen, haven't heard anything back yet. Boo. Although the above friend said we'd find out in about a fortnight, having talked to Helen. Hmmm. I just want to know, it's like waiting for the Mode 1 offer all over again. And once I get it I can guarantee I'll debate whether I want it or not, even though I KNOW I do. Pah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭postgrad

I am doing an MA in Anglo-Irish starting this Sept. Does anyone know when classes end before Christmas holiday? Then, does anyone know when classes end during second term after Christmas? And then when exams are (I heard in May for Anglo-Irish), and most importantly--since I want to buy plane tickets--when is the dissertation due and then, when is graduation?

I appreciate anyone who can answer these questions. I e-mailed Helen but haven't heard back from her yet.

postgrad wrote:
    I am doing an MA in Anglo-Irish starting this Sept. Does anyone know when classes end before Christmas holiday? Then, does anyone know when classes end during second term after Christmas? And then when exams are (I heard in May for Anglo-Irish), and most importantly--since I want to buy plane tickets--when is the dissertation due and then, when is graduation?

I appreciate anyone who can answer these questions. I e-mailed Helen but haven't heard back from her yet.
    you'll get a handbook thingy telling you all that. there's no way anyone on here can know how they're running it next year. if you can't wait, try emailing one of the anglo-irish lecturers, helen gallagher is uselessness on a stick.

Is the handbook thingy ;) mailed out or is it to be picked up at the beginning of term?

Just as a rough estimate, since you are geting your MA now, when is your dissertation due and when do you graduate, if you don't mind me asking?

i got mine in the post around this time last year i think.

my thesis is due august 15th. the anglo-irish people (who are always cluttering up the postgrad room and distracting me, tch) have theirs due on the 9th i think - theirs is a bit shorter than ours. graduation is early december i think.

a friend of mine got accepted into the same MA as you the other day actually, so there's at least one dead-on person due to be in your class. of course when i start my PhD i will be contractually obliged to be a grumpy fuck towards all MA students and will wander around the department scowling at ye :cool:

Well it's your job to be a grumpy **** then. :cool: Pay your dues, get your rights.

That's good to know I won't be the only one...though I expect this to be a full MA programme.

Hmmmm...so it might be around the 9th that my dissertation will be due. I'll just he sure to look out for that mailing.

Graduation around December, eh? That makes sense being that dissertations take a while to grade. I'm guessing most international students like me would be receiving their deplomas in the mail? What have you noticed in terms of international students and graduation? I would think most go home after turning in their dissertations.

My **** was bleeped...come on...

postgrad wrote:
    That's good to know I won't be the only one...though I expect this to be a full MA programme.

yeah the modern, american and anglo-irish ones are very popular... i head something about there being about five applicants for every place. it's just the older ones that have problems getting people in the door. pity buh.
    postgrad wrote:
    What have you noticed in terms of international students and graduation?
    ask me in december..

rain on, have you decided to do a PhD in UCD? The idea is getting more appealing to me as I look about elsewhere.

• Advertisement

ucd or trinity i guess. depends what my proposal ends up being about.

Advertisement