Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits have eaten my lettuce!!!!

Options
  • 12-07-2006 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Well just went up to pick some lettuce and most of it has been eaten. :eek: Had alot of young seedlings coming on nicely and they've all been chewn back! I think they may have started on the carrots too!!!!!I usually have the dogs up there while im weeding etc but been away a few days and i guess the rabbits took there chance. Or else they've just burrowed next door to the vegetable patch. :mad:
    googled some solutions and so far spraying tabasco sauce on the outer leaves that i wont eat sounds interesting,.
    Anyone any other ideas. I know to really keep them away i'd need a mesh fence but dont have the time or the money to invest in that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A shotgun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You could always set up a trap.. trap them then sell them as pets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Saruman wrote:
    You could always set up a trap.. trap them then sell them as pets :D
    Or, considering that you're down a bit of grub now, eat the rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello KC81,
    you say usually have the dogs up there while your weeding, this may help you solve your problem.
    Rabbits and hares will not come next nor near a dog as you well know.
    If they dont see a dog they will certainly sniff him out with their twitchy little noses.

Tie up bundles of dog hair with thread and leave them around the outside and strewn through your veg patch.
    I know, sounds a bit like a scene from the "Blair Witch", but many allotment gardeners swear by it.
    You will require lots of dog hair, here's hoping your dogs are long-haired.
    You can also use barbers hair, ask to take yours home with you the next time you visit.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try putting down chilli powder (the really hot kind) around your plants.

If that doesn't work shoot them & eat them. (They'll be pre-spiced!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

claymore.jpg
    I recommend some of these

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

(1) Balsamic Vinegar (2) Sweet Chilli or (3) Italian Dressing and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

Well dont fancy eating rabbit stuffed with bullets(and i dont own a gun) but have got lots of dog hair off my dog. brushed her up there. Got some chili powder and have some of the younger lettuce covered with netting so hopefully am sorted. Now i just have to contend with the hot weather and pray the well doesnt dry up !!! :( or else what lettuce is left will bolt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Grow the lettuces in pots on the top of long poles, and rub some oil up and down the pole to make it tricky for critters to climb up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

KC81 wrote:
    Well dont fancy eating rabbit stuffed with bullets(and i dont own a gun) but have got lots of dog hair off my dog. brushed her up there. Got some chili powder and have some of the younger lettuce covered with netting so hopefully am sorted. Now i just have to contend with the hot weather and pray the well doesnt dry up !!! :( or else what lettuce is left will bolt!

Be sure to "lettuce" know how successful (or otherwise) the pest control measures work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement