Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to kick out my flatmate... anything I should be worried about?

Options
  • 12-07-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I rent an apartment. The lease is in my name. I pay the rent and deal with the landlord. Flatmate pays me half the rent each month.

1. The only way she can deal with people is through confrontation and aggression. This is making the apartment hell. She recently got demoted from her job for this (she was a manager) and I know someone who used to work with her, so it's not just me...
    2. She always pays the rent late. Without fail, one or two weeks late. It's always the banks fault :rolleyes:
    3. She lied when she applied to move into the flat. I clearly specified no clean freaks and no highly strung psychos. She is both.

Anyway, as you can see, I want her out.

Can I legally just give her one months notice?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

The way I'd see it, if the lease is in your name, and she is not mentioned on it, legally, she hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Use the late rent as an excuse, tell her it is too late to make you promises, you are not responsible for the 'banks' errors, it is her responsibility to pay you the rent, in full and on time.

Give her a months notice and kick her out, if you own the lease, you don't want that sort of hassle. (I'm no legal expert btw!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

I'd also change the locks the day that she moves out! You might be able to get the landlord to cover the cost but, in my experience, most landlords are reluctant to part with any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Hey,

I rent an apartment. The lease is in my name. I pay the rent and deal with the landlord. Flatmate pays me half the rent each month.

1. The only way she can deal with people is through confrontation and aggression. This is making the apartment hell. She recently got demoted from her job for this (she was a manager) and I know someone who used to work with her, so it's not just me...
    2. She always pays the rent late. Without fail, one or two weeks late. It's always the banks fault :rolleyes:
    3. She lied when she applied to move into the flat. I clearly specified no clean freaks and no highly strung psychos. She is both.

Anyway, as you can see, I want her out.

Can I legally just give her one months notice?

Thanks

Mate of mine had a similar problem, guy she was living with was like that, would 'forget' to pay the rent would run up a phone bill and say it wasn't him and so on. In the end she sat him down and said that it wasn't working and she wanted a new flatmate. He was so pissed off he left the next day!

Just be honest. She might give you a few slaps but you'll be grand ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Thanks for the replies. To be honest, the rent thing doesn't really bother me. It's her horrible personality that's the problem. ALWAYS angry, sometimes crying for no reason. Atmosphere is horrible.

She freaks out over everything.

Frequently is scrubbing the apartment at 4 in the morning... seriously, who cleans bathrooms, washes floors at 4 in the morning?

I think I'll just tell her the truth: I find it impossible to deal with you and I would like you to move out.

I don't think she's the type to try to get revenge...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. To be honest, the rent thing doesn't really bother me. It's her horrible personality that's the problem. ALWAYS angry, sometimes crying for no reason. Atmosphere is horrible.

She freaks out over everything.

Frequently is scrubbing the apartment at 4 in the morning... seriously, who cleans bathrooms, washes floors at 4 in the morning?

I think I'll just tell her the truth: I find it impossible to deal with you and I would like you to move out.

I don't think she's the type to try to get revenge...

Just tell her that you are finding her increasingly antisocial and dread coming home that will get the message across. I'd lock your valuables away and be there when she moves out tbh, sounds like a head the ball. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

DOLEMAN wrote:

In her defence, she is living with a dude who's got the words "Bukkake" and "Jizz" in his sig...

Edit:

Completely forgot to put in my actual advice. A group of us were living in a house in London, and had one guy who was a nightmare to live with. To get rid of him, we all pretended we were moving out, knowing he'd be too lazy to find new roommates. It worked, and he moved back to Ireland, thinking we were all doing the same. Lot of hassle, but this dude was a complete toolbar. Might not be practical in your case.

Advertisement