Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable and Wireless now providing UTV talk?

Options
  • 12-07-2006 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I dialled 19800 today to check who was my calls provider and it said I was with Cable and Wireless. Since when are C&W providing UTV's telephone service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

For quite a while, maybe 2yrs+.

They bought out/took over the previous carrier (can't recall the name, Sponge will probably know as I think we had a conv. on boards about it yonks ago) who looked after calls for UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Was it Colt at the time? I am probably mixing this up with something else, but the name springs to mind when I think about UTV Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

You're right Urban, Colt Telecom it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for the info. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thought it was Nevadetele meself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yah Ken twas Nevada, bought by energis a few years back and then I lost track of it.

c&w were the second largest provider of telco pipes (by capacity) out of Ireland in 1995 ...maybe even as late as 1998 so they are not recent entrants .

The government tried to pimp eircom to them on an ongoing basis in the late 80s and early 90s before they pimped around 30% of it to The Swedish and Dutch incumbents.

Biddy glared at them from the bowels of the eircom HQ on the Green and they stopped visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Energis and C&W are now the one. Perhaps this explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for the most useful info. The wife received a winback call from Eircom and I was wanting to check that we did not get slammed.

Advertisement