Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up WiFi in a big stone house

• 12-07-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hello, I am kind of a newbie to the WiFi thing, but we are thinking about setting up free wifi for all guests in the B&B. I know we need a router, but the house is a solid stone build, so I am not sure about how to set up repeaters and that. Has anyone got any advice? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nice website btw.

As regards router, get a good brand name like linksys, netgear or dlink. Position it somewhere where it will provide coverage of most of the house. For a B&B I think most guests would be happy to get wifi in the living room, so might not be too important to have it in every room. So the one router well positioned will give good coverage.

What sort of broadband do you have? DSL? Cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wanderer222

Thanks for that, we have the DSL at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Then you can either buy a wireless router, put ur modem into bridge mode and then connect to router. Or you could buy a combo modem/router and replace your current modem.

Stick to one of the three good brand names. They will offer the best range/coverage. Have a look around and post back with what you think might be good and we can give feedback on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Belkin and d link do new wi fi access points using whats called by belink pre n and d link call it 104g or somethin like that cant exactly remember their name ... range is somethin like 8 times further than conventional wi fi and six times faster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

802.11n is out and is far too expensive for the moment imho. It's unlikely that high LAN speeds are necessary for the OP's brief - so no need for the speed benefit. Plus, you don't want the range to be too good:p. Pre-n stuff is not a good buy at any rate. Stick with 802.11g.
    Do you have a good idea of the wall construction: What sort of bricks are used in the inner walls? Wire mesh used? Also, size of the building sqm? Type of flooring? TBH, I'd say the bedroom is a desired place for WiFi coverage... Ahem.

• Advertisement

i'd be going for the pre n all right.. as G wont go through many walls .. you need maximum power to even achieve what your aiming for..tbn the pre n will probably only barely do the trick for you any way.. and if its a B&B in the middle of now here and you want to offer free access .. obviously security isnt an issue to neighbours etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

JohnnieM wrote:
    i'd be going for the pre n all right.. as G wont go through many walls .. you need maximum power to even achieve what your aiming for..tbn the pre n will probably only barely do the trick for you any way.. and if its a B&B in the middle of now here and you want to offer free access .. obviously security isnt an issue to neighbours etc etc
    Pre N isn't going to be much good to guests who have built in 802.11G, is it?

I'm not sure I'd be too willing to install a borrowed USB or PCMCIA card and drivers just to get free wi-fi access in a B&B.

I'd suggest that you start with the Linksys WRT54GL. The firmware can be upgraded to tweak the power output to increase range. It'll work with your customers existing wireless laptops, and you can use a laptop to figure out where to put wireless repeaters, if you need them.

(Caveat - I haven't done this, I've just read about it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

have the same prob in my house i have a linksys wrt 54g something and linksys repeater to get the signal upstairs linksys repetears only work with linksys gear as well.
    the range of the repeater is quite limited and it halves the speed of the connection ive used dlink repeaters (with a belkin ap) and it worked pretty well
    looking at the house if you can put the ap's in the loft you may cover the house
    it won't work if you put the ap downstairs it wont get through the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If coverage is still an issue: you can install another 1 (Or,hell,even 2 more) 802.11g AP's for the price of installing 802.11n. Again, why on Earth would you fork out for limited, proprietary "pre-n" when "n" has been released? Plus, as pointed out again above: what good is it to those with g cards which would be a helluva-lot more common? Plus, you wouldn't loan anybody an 802.11n card...

pre n will work perfectly fine with a g card..getting up to 20% more range.. your simply increasing the range of the ap.. ok its not optomised but it will work ive used the belkin at 150 mts with ibm laptop with its built in G..across a yard.. but put a wall in the way and forget it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

looking at the photo of the place, if yoiu want good coverage get two AP's with detachable antenna and pop them in the roof either side if the building.

Two of these bad boys:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304365

Mounted on the wall on both sides of the gable will give very good coverage. The best signal is when the waves pass the receiver at a slight angle. So you would position and angle the antenna in such a way that it cuts the most used areas at an angle at the sacrifice of areas that do not need coverage. Your kitchen for example.

Heres a rough sketch, based on what I see in the photo:

gable.gif

This is provided of course you want full coverage.

Please, Please, Pleaseat the very least put a firewall between the Access Points and you own network. The amount of places I have come across with "everyone" access to business-critical data is astounding!

Advertisement