Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grrr pulled over by guards this morning!

Options
  • 12-07-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

driving along the n11, 200 metres from the left turn up to sandyford so i pull into the bus lane to take the left and i get pulled in. guard takes my details but he said no points,

apparently i pulled in left too early im supposed to leave it til right up at the junction, mmmmm so what if a bus is to your left, you hold up the whole lane trying to turn left then?

he said no points just a fine, is this correct, how much of a fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Guards there most mornings. you are lucky not to get points, no idea of the fine. Generally the bus will let you in. No sympathy though, you shouldnt be in the bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Zero sympathy to be expected here.
    You're lucky not to get not penalty points

You make a fair point, but what's worse is when people drive down the bus lane, see a checkpoint and then indicate right and stop until someone lets them in.
    Of course noone lets them in, they were jumping the queue after all.

So the bus behind them with 50-60 people is stuck due to some inconsiderate person who wanted to save time.

Happens quite a lot outside Donnycarney Church.
    Mainly moms in SUV's driving their kids the 1km to the local school

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyrus wrote:
    driving along the n11, 200 metres from the left turn up to sandyford so i pull into the bus lane to take the left and i get pulled in. guard takes my details but he said no points,

apparently i pulled in left too early im supposed to leave it til right up at the junction, mmmmm so what if a bus is to your left, you hold up the whole lane trying to turn left then?

he said no points just a fine, is this correct, how much of a fine?

The end of the bus lane is clearly marked before that junction, and there's more than enough room to allow cars to turn left even with a bus at the lights. The danger in what you did is that cars moving into the turn left lane at the correct point will have to deal with you already in the bus lane. Be honest, you did it to jump the queue. I did it myself one morning when I was late for a wedding, got caught, paid the fine and didn't whine about it afterwards.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Got cautioned by a Garda at jcn Alfie Byrne Road - Clontarf road. I could see ahead the left turn arrow - but I was turning before it. Because I had no choice - everyone else turns before this.

When there are no gardaí at this junction - at 8:30am - often this bus-lane does not work.

At peak times motorists are forced to disobey road markings - simply because there are too many other road users willing to do so.

While joggers/joe public would object - this road could be modified from at least 300m back to allow traffic turning left to cross the bus-lane. This will happen when Dublin has its own underground metro.

I will likely also be underground (6ft) too at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pataman wrote:
    Guards there most mornings. you are lucky not to get points, no idea of the fine. Generally the bus will let you in. No sympathy though, you shouldnt be in the bus lane.

why am i lucky not to get points?

what bus drivers do you have, most of them are ignorant asses that will hardly let other bus drivers pass much less motorists

and its not as if i wanted to drive in the bus lane i was turning left, by me getting into that lane it allows traffic move more freely in the lanes going into town

just because rules are there doesnt make them right,

anyway i looked it up fine of 60quid, it must be like shooting fish in a barrel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Cyrus wrote:
    why am i lucky not to get points?
    Insurance companies will use points as an excuse to double your premium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Oh balls. They don't care for the first two points at least.

OP, I know the junction and so many cars turn there they really should have a filter lane further back in my opinion. There's room for about two cars in the filter lane as it is.

i know that, what he meant i was lucky not to get points for that particular offence, if they start giving points for something like that we'll all be off the road in no time

i actually wasnt even skipping a queue, i am working at a clients in sandyford this week, id say its the first time i ever used that junction, normally if im turning left i do it after the sign about 200m or so from the junction, and i agree with the last poster, the space legally given at the junction to go left isnt enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Cyrus wrote:
    i actually wasnt even skipping a queue, i am working at a clients in sandyford this week, id say its the first time i ever used that junction, normally if im turning left i do it after the sign about 200m or so from the junction, and i agree with the last poster, the space legally given at the junction to go left isnt enough
    you have the option to plead your case in front of a court ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Sleipnir wrote:
    Oh balls. They don't care for the first two points at least.
    They also don't care what you get them for. I can understand why they would want to load your premium for speeding points, but (IMO) driving 50 yards in a bus lane and getting two points for it shouldn't come into play. It wouldn't be that hard to collect points for offences that don't really make you a more dangerous driver, yet this would, I presume, affect your insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

You can't get points for driving in the buslane, so theres no lucky about it, it doesn't qualify. It amazes me that people still don't know what you can gets points for, despite the amount of press coveage :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

At peak times motorists are forced to disobey road markings - simply because there are too many other road users willing to do so.

Aye this seems to be the case everywhere. Some ignorant tosser decides "Why should I have to sit in traffic". So the person hops into a bus lane and drives to the front of the queue and forces his way out. All smug and chuffed with himself he drives on saving 15 mins in traffic.

However Monkey see, monkey do. Then it's pretty much a case of if you don't do it your stuck in traffic for much longer.

Personally I make it my business to block people like that from getting out as much as possible. It's kinda satisfying to see them have a hissey fit when they get cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

layke wrote:
    Personally I make it my business to block people like that from getting out as much as possible. It's kinda satisfying to see them have a hissey fit when they get cut off.

I do the same , if they want to hit me good luck to them.... but they are not getting my lane i qued fairly for....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cyrus wrote:
    i know that, what he meant i was lucky not to get points for that particular offence, if they start giving points for something like that we'll all be off the road in no time
    ... OR, maybe you'd all stop trying to skip the queue using the bus lane? Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

..........thats drivel !

nobody can "force" you to do anything you dont want to with your own car ! You are responsible for your actions !

"If you cant do the time, dont do the crime " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

MercMad wrote:
    ..........thats drivel !

nobody can "force" you to do anything you dont want to with your own car ! You are responsible for your actions !

"If you cant do the time, dont do the crime " :D

This is what I love about drivers in Ireland, no personal responsibility.

"It's not my fault I ran the red light, the sequence is too long. It is the fault of whoever set them up."

"It's not my fault I was speeding, the limit is too slow. It is the fault of whoever decided on the limit."

"It's not my fault I got a ticket for being in the bus lane. Everyone else does it. It is the fault of the person who designed the junction."

"It's not my fault I drive unaccompanied and on the motorway, have you seen how long the waiting list fo the test is."

Of course, the chance of getting punished for any of this behaviour is so slim a lot of drivers think the risk is worthwhile.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

While I take the point that too many people don't obey the rules and that causes many problems. Stupid rules are equally bad. Where traffic is not likely to backup into the bus lane people should be able to use the bus lane earlier to turn left. A bit like turning right on a red in the States. Obviously if traffic turning left backs up into the bus lane, then thats the problem the bus lane is there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

The idea of a bus lane is so that the bus can always be first at the lights when they change.

For people turning left on all the bus lanes I am familiar with there is ample space allocated to move into the bus lane to turn left. Anyone doing so before the allocated spot is 'jumping the queue'. The OP said it was about 200 yards before the junction when he moved in to the bus lane, that is about 175 yards of queue skipping.

The OP was wrong no question. But there are bus lanes in Dublin that go right to the lights and you have to enter them to turn left. On a busy road you its almost impossible to do this at the lights, you have to filter into the lane before the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Cyrus wrote:

delly wrote:
    You can't get points for driving in the buslane, so theres no lucky about it, it doesn't qualify. It amazes me that people still don't know what you can gets points for, despite the amount of press coveage :rolleyes:.

you can get one penalty point for

"Failure to comply with Traffic Lane Markings"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Don't cross continuous white lines!!!

There's a copy of the Rules Of The Road somewhere here on boards... :p

blorg wrote:
    ... OR, maybe you'd all stop trying to skip the queue using the bus lane? Just a thought...

there was no queue

Cyrus wrote:
    there was no queue

So why did you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

AlienGav wrote:
    Don't cross continuous white lines!!!
    There aren't any of these in Ireland which is why most such convictions are thrown out in court (I've been led to believe - and have observed myself!)

If the points system is ever going to work - serious work needs to be done on roads. I.e. markings...

There aren't any of these in Ireland which is why most such convictions are thrown out in court (I've been led to believe - and have observed myself!)

If the points system is ever going to work - serious work needs to be done on roads. I.e. markings...

What do you mean. Theres continuous white lines everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

whats this no continuous white lines...

one should keep eyes open when driving...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

an american friend of mine got away with a smile from a cop when she told him she didnt know what "lana bus" was susposed to mean, it could have been no buses for all she knew....

Anan1 wrote:
    So why did you do it?
    because i was turning left

Cyrus wrote:
    because i was turning left

OK, I'll rephrase my question. Why did you pull into the bus lane 200 yards before the left turn when there was no queue?

• Advertisement

i like to get into lane before the last second?

Advertisement