Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG Spam!

Options
  • 12-07-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

So, eh someone sent me a blue ribboned package, C.O.D. of 2g.

Obviously I sent it back to him, but wtf is this about? How much fun can there possibly be in making up dummy packages and sending them to random punters?

I'm almost tempted to try the same scam on him :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I wouldn't be too sure, but I'd be guessing he just might be onto your scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TBH, thats a pretty good idea. Wonder how many people fell for it or mabye have money to spare and just took it out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well a guy in my guild claimed to have paid 200g for some pork chops, but I suspect he was lying :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its a pretty common scam and you can get banned for doing it afaik. If you know if name I'd send a GM a ticket.

I do indeed know his name, and I was tempted to contact a GM, but I didn't know if it was an issue. If I've returned his spam, surely there's no point in contacting a GM now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Same thing happened to me, for a moment I was half tempted to take it, I had the cash and was curious to see what was in it.

Then I remembered that it was unsolicited and sent it back. If I'd known it was a wider issue however I would have contacted a GM about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Never be part of this scam, once i paid for one and found a [Jimmenú] under the wrapping, our server has never been the same since!

It only cost me a couple of gold in game, but the months of seeing a shrink has cost hundreds IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A former guildie said that someone once randomly invited him to a group while in IF, and just typed "type /split 10000", or something along those lines. He had a rough idea that the command splits money between all party members, so he left the group and reported him to a GM. GM said they were already keeping an eye on him and were saving all his logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yeah, split was a bit of a crazy command. It would take all the gold in your inventory and split it among the party members. They only removed it 4 or 5 patches ago :o

Luckily it wasnt abused that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mail filters to be added in Burning Crusade perhaps? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I thought split could only affect your money?

not much point in using it unless you are a generous guy.

Also under what section is sending a gift wrapped present a bannable offence?
    never heard of anyone being banned for it, its like saying you can get someone banned for griefing you on the hunter quest or for ninja looting. ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Well you have to pay 2G for the privalage of looking inside a box that may contain some useless junk worth 7 copper.

You get shafted.

^^What layke said

It's a clear attempt to scam gold out of other people. I'd consider it a form of griefing.

So don't open the damn box.

Jesus.

Its like offering an idiot a Gold bar or a magic box of unknown contents.
    10 times out of 10 he'll take the box.

Curiosity killed the cat or in this case, my brain cells when trying to understand how you can try to dignify someone's stupidity to pay 2g to accept unknown contents from a random person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01726p

You can get temporarilly suspended for repeated attempts at scamming. Scary eh?

As long as the header of the letter isnt misleading, there's nothing wrong with sending a wrappedgift.

<Surprise>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

report that mushroom seller in EPL while your at it.. it tries the same trick:p

Advertisement