Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood flooring upstairs

Options
  • 12-07-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi
    this might be a stupid question but anyway
    we currently have carpets upstairs that were there when we bought the house , want to change to wood flooring or laminate wood flooring , coz the carpets are a state, used countless products etc but to no avail .
    anyway my friend says that wood flooring upstairs will make it much noiser upstairs than carpet , is this true ? anybody got wood flooring and can tell me If its true
    thanks in advance
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

yes its not as quite as carpet, but long term it is a better finish (imo) and will last a lot longer than carpet...Gr8 for Celi Dancing..and easy to keep clean...
    There are endless choices on finish and type of flooring...shop around for the best deal....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Obviously it is going to be significantly louder. Use laminate over "wood" as wood tends to get damaged by beds, furniture, etc.
    I'd also keep carpet on the stairs - it'll get a lot of the dirt and protect the flooring upstairs, and for noise reduction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It will be louder, and I would leave the carpet on the stairs. If you ensure there is insulation in the cavity between the 2 floors it isn't that bad.

Should you put down insulation between the 2 floors, make sure you don't insulate around any down-lighters you may have installed as these lights need some air circulation for cooling purposes so as they don't overheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lundar

hi all,
    i'm a carpenter for a living ,
    anyways sparks is right . if u want to keep the noise down, make sure u get a good quality floor underlay , cork paper is usually the best but is fairly expensive. also make sure the floor isnt nailed down to the existing floor . it can tranfer more noise. depends on the of flooring and type
    hope this helps

Advertisement