Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[EL]O Callaghan ,Right / Wrong

• 12-07-2006 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as tho the best player* in the EL decided against playing Corks biggest game of the season.

Wondering if he was right to not get over his diosagreement with Corks manager Richardson.

Now as far as i know from whats been posted on various sites he was angry with the red card he received vs Bohs and the fine/ attitude of Rico towards him. So let Rico know and Rico being the manager sent him home (open to correction on that).

Now regardless of what when why etc, hes a professional footballer so this is not on imo, he should fined every weeks wages that he fails to turn up for his job. This is job and Cork are his employers, we all hate our bosses but we dont all get to have a hissy fit and just not go, and he well paid to play ball anyway.

Should Cork get rid? Who was right?

*a player plays

/Keane O Callaghan Kearney....what is it with Cork footballers?

kdjac

Who is right ? 18 votes

Rico was, he should sell him.
    0% 0 votes
    Rico was, they should make up.
    22% 4 votes
    George was, he should leave
    16% 3 votes
    George was, he should stay.
    0% 0 votes
    Bleedin footballer stfu and play.
    11% 2 votes
    Reactor
    50% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Grow up, get on with it George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is alot more to this than meets the eye, or indeed the media. There has to be wrong on both sides, but both should be old enough and professioanl enough to talk it through and get on with winning things.

Now the fact that both parties have involved solicitors to make statements suggests to me that this situation has gone beyond repair. If this is the case, everyone loses -

George is left clubless, and not a very attractive signing given the fact that he used his solicitor first

Rico because he will be seen as the man who drove George out of Cork City

Cork City because it has lost a great player

Cork City because the fans will be split to some degreee.

Brian Lennox, as he will be seen as the chairman who couldnt control the egos

Cork City fans because of all of the above

Rico because his job could become untenable given the players who have left during his short reign to date, and lack of adequate cover

George because he looks undisciplined, and seems to have 'form' at this point

Eircom League football because it could be lost to the best player (/most outrageosu personality) it has seen in many a long year

I could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:

Cork City because the fans will be split to some degreee.

So no change there then, you could get seperate ends the way they split.

Why would they need solicitors? Is it more than i posted? Afaik has been posted it was over the red card and arguments from that ?

Pats allegedly bid 80k for him but hey we bid for everyone but never sign them........... couldnt afford his wages even if it was true.

kdjac

Im too tired to post links, but looks for the evening echo back page, and have a sconse at the various threads on ccfc.ie. Both parties have used solicitors. Why i dont know, but they have :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

As I understand it, George believes the club had no right to fine him in the first place (I'll presume based on the clauses in his contract), so got legal advice. Thats when the solicitors stepped in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is worse than Roy Keane.

Just sort it out!

Rico stop spouting bull****(some of his comments are very open to interpratation) and George be the better man.

Don't make me choose.

Remember November 2005 in the Cross!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My reading of the whole thing is that O'Callaghan was shafted. He was fined two weeks wages for being sent off, his manager came out and publicly slammed him and his chairman lied to his face about sorting the issue out. If Cork are not legally entitled to withhold his wages, then I can’t see that he has any other option than bringing in a solicitor. I know that if I was fined two weeks wages when I wasn’t supposed to be, I’d be furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AFAIK it stems from the fine. The argument from O'Callaghan is that the manager can't just decide to fine a player for getting sent off and he's probably got a point as regards employment law.
    If you look at it in the context of your own jobs you'd be pretty mad if etc etc.

It would have been nice to see them get over it though, especially given the match last night.

It would be great to see him come back for the return leg but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gosplan wrote:
    AFAIK it stems from the fine. The argument from O'Callaghan is that the manager can't just decide to fine a player for getting sent off and he's probably got a point as regards employment law.

Happens at professional clubs all the time. Notice I said professional.

It all depends on whether his contract provided for fines as a disciplinary procedure or not, or whether the club have a policy on fining players. Being the EL, the answer to both is probably no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

The fine was over the top, and GO'C was right to challenge it. Wouldn't mind him at BFC, though I'd say I'd be in a minority there.

• Advertisement

After listening to Rico on Newstalk I feel things have gone from bad to worse.

He says that George won't be travelling next week and that he is more converned with John O'Flynn.

I'd love to know what the **** is going on. Have either of them even tried to talk to each other.

Pat Dolan split the fans, imagine what this would do.

Did we learn anything from Saipan. Both parties came out losers in that case.

The Prisoners Dilemma would say that the best overall outcome is for both parties to make concessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

johnos wrote:
    The fine was over the top, and GO'C was right to challenge it. Wouldn't mind him at BFC, though I'd say I'd be in a minority there.

Hmmm maybe, we'd have to have a bumper sale first make some room for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

See Rico after the Apollon game on RTE? Basically went on a mini-rant about only wanting players who'll play for the team, George is as good as gone!

It would be a massive loss to City and the league.

In all my years supporting City, he has been the best player I have seen.

We've had Morley, Freyne, Barry, Doyle, O'Flynn.

So thats saying something.

He is holding out for a move from a recently promoted club in the UK according to a source down here. There is a good chance that this rift was created due to the fee City would be looking for him, and he blew his top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    He is holding out for a move from a recently promoted club in the UK according to a source down here. There is a good chance that this rift was created due to the fee City would be looking for him, and he blew his top.

If we got 475k for Des Byrne then George as a creative mid is a million easy, rumours of wanting 250k ?

kdjac

Advertisement