Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing network cable in timber frame

Options
  • 12-07-2006 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into a 2nd hand timber frame house at the weekend and among the things I would like to do is install some network cabling.

Is it possible to run cables internally in the walls in a timber frame house or are there too many obstacles? Am I going to be restricted to wireless?

I intend to lift the floorboards upstairs for access. I can also get my hands on a proper cable pulling thingy which is more rigid than the cable and can be pushed through first and then used to pull the cable through.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It is possible, but tricky. You'll need to notch the slab where the bridging pieces are to allow your cable past them. Do you know any electricians, they would be able to show you the neatest way of doing this.
    Did you consider stapling the cable to the skirting board or running it under the carpet where possible, it's not that noticeable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Get yourself a set of fishing rods from your local wholesaler or us the lid of a length of trunking for fishing cable behind walls. The internal walls will be trickier as they will have noggins about half way up the wall. The external walls will be easier but watch out for the vapoour barrier and insulation.
    Cable on skirting looks terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I have no problem taking off the skirting and routing it to allow cables in behind it. The problem is going between floors. I would rather go up inside the walls. I was wondering if the bridging completely filled the gap between the slabs or if there might be enough room to fit a cat5e cable.

Advertisement