Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More modular rubbish

Options
  • 13-07-2006 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

The new skate area in Dunshaughlin is finished 2 quarterpipes and a funbox all modular units. Another waste of money. Work has begun on Dunboyne skatepark and I'm preety sure this will end up the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

damn, they shoulda looked at lucan and bushy and kinda molded them together. cos lucans a bit on the cramped side

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

They seem to be building the skateparks for under ten in mind,or complete beginners.Bushu and Lucan are the exception so far...hope there will be more exceptions...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i laughed at the portlaois park, but wideangle made a good point there. If the parks are aimed at the younger kids who wanna get into this sort of stuff - fair play! Its alot more than i had when i was a kid skating.

Good show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

shagman wrote:
    The new skate area in Dunshaughlin is finished 2 quarterpipes and a funbox all modular units. Another waste of money. Work has begun on Dunboyne skatepark and I'm preety sure this will end up the same.

There's a kid who posts on here occasionally who was so stoked that this park was going to be made this way, purely because it's better than nothing. That is unfortunately the dominant mindset among far too many skaters/bladers/bmxers who should be getting involved in the decision making process for their local parks. There's no point in locals getting all worked up and hot under the collar when they've done nothing to guide the park design in a way that will make it a popular local and tourist attraction, ala Stoke, Marseilles, Livi, Prissick, Lille, Malmo, etc. Decisions should not be made by retarded 14 year olds.

Just remember this is only the first round of funding and building of skateparks,there are plenty of more towns and cities and groups of skaters that can apply for funding to build skateparks this year,which will get built next year...if you catch me drift.Then they can demand and concrete parks and not modular rubbish.
    I believe there is something fishy going on,30,000 euro funding for the Ballypheane park and it's very narrow and not very big at all.The ramps have not even arrived at all yet,but I cannot imagine it cost the full 30,000 too build,if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

Also alot of the town and city councils went too Scotland too view the skateparks there too get an idea regarding the skateparks.Now as you all know most of the Scottish skateparks are concrete,so why are we getting modular crap,Scotland gets more snow than we do and the rest of the year the weather is fairly simular.When the surface of the modular ramps starts too rot there are going too be some accidents...and possible claims!!You read it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

yeah about the modular parks being aimed at younger kids because on the rules sign in portlaoise park. It clearly states in big bold letters no children under 10 allowed in skatepark. Portlaoise is already starting to break down as locals are getting sick of it and scumbags are graffiting it and there is a possibilitie of the park getting taken off them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

Nope, I don't think its a waste of money. In fact, I think they are going about it a better way than Dublin county council has... they are starting off with something small that anyone from a beginner to an advanced rider/skater can use. Something like bushy park where something massive was built right away is just going to cause a lot of trouble - lots of injuries, I think! And I would rather ride a diverse park with a few different modules and obstacles to ride ANY DAY than go to a massive bowl that's crowded with people where only about 2 people can ride/skate at the same time!!!

so I think a modular park, albeit made from bad stuff and way too expensive for what it really is, is actually going to be used by a more diverse range of people and more people will be able to ride it at the same time even if it's built on a smaller area!

Advertisement