Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puzzled

• 13-07-2006 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Ok so someone gave me this puzzle and I have the answer too but I've no idea how it works. Can someone please explain, if you can, this is weird!

Q: I give you a few numbers, you give me the next one: 1, 11, 21, 1211, ....
    A:21221
    B:13112
    C:111221
    D:1122111

Answer: C = 111221. When you read it very slowly you'll see. The first number reads, one times one. The second reads, two times one. So the number we search for is one times one, one times two, two times one.

Ih?

Comments

The first term is 1, which has "one 1" in it, therefore the next in the sequence is 11.
    11 has "two 1's" in it, therefore 21.
    21 has "one 2 and one 1" in it and therefore 1211.
    1211 has "one 1, one 2, and 2 one's" in it, and therefore 111221 etc.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Yeah that explains it better thanks! hmmm, its a pretty crap puzzle though!

Advertisement